Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kenneth Christensen 4 posts 24 karma points
    Aug 24, 2009 @ 20:26
    Kenneth Christensen

Free umbraco hosting (sending out a probe here)

Hi All!

Just got a idea this evening, would anyone be interested in using a free (as in $0) umbraco hosting provider ? with certain limitations set on the webhost, that could be lifted by using a cheap (but not free) hosting account ?

Haven't quite figured out what limitations would apply yet, so im just brainstorming here... and hoping it's not inappropriate in this forum..

Kind Regards

Kenneth

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Aug 24, 2009 @ 21:12
    Chris Koiak

Hi Kenneth,

Free Hosting sounds great, but also too good to be true.

I'm sure if you provide genuine free hosting you'll get people interested.

But for now.... I'm sceptical.

Chris

Aug 24, 2009 @ 22:19
    Kenneth Christensen

If it's sounds to good to be true, it poperly is as my parents would say.

In this case it's partly true, the situation is that i've got a dedicated server for a few of my clients, and they're basically paying for that server.
    But the current diskspace/bandwidth/cpu usage of the server is at 1-2% average, so what im thinking is that i might aswell utilialize those last resources, as they wouldn't really cost my anything.

So the hosting setup would be your classic "drug-dealer down on the corner" setup, small tastings are free, anything more than that, it's gonna cost you a little. for instance, i was thinking of 1gb free bandwidth pr month, and a maxiumum usage of say 50mb or so.

I know, it doesnt sound like a lot, but im thinking a lot of hobbiest/small developers would use if for developing, and then hopefully if they like the service, they would convert into a paying customer later on.

But again, it's all just an idea, nothing's concrete yet, and if the community wouldn't be interested, why bother doing it. So that's why im hoping for a few inputs from you guys (if this thread doesn't voilate terms of usage for the forum)

Kenneth

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Aug 25, 2009 @ 00:03
    Chris Koiak

Sounds very generous of you.

Aug 25, 2009 @ 22:20
    Kenneth Christensen

Not really generous.. more a cool calculating move to create a secondary income, so to speak.

But with a "different" businessmodel than the other umbraco hosters..

anyways, interessted in a beta account once I finish the administrative system ?

• Hundebol 167 posts 314 karma points
    Aug 26, 2009 @ 08:26
    Hundebol

Hi Kenneth,

Think it sounds like a great idea. When i started with umbraco, i had a PHP-hotel that I changed to asp.NET so that i could try it out.

If I could have found your free service, i could have tried it out for free. Or for a small one time fee.

But maybe you should set a time limit as well, or else people will just keep their "account" - even if they later buy a real webhotel.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft