Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Jan 06, 2013 @ 15:01
    Anthony Candaele

umbraco installation vs umbraco source code

Hi,

This probably is a stupid question, but I never fully understood the difference between the normal umbraco cms install and the umbraco cms source install.

When do u use one over the other?

Thanks for the information,

Anthony

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Jan 07, 2013 @ 14:38
    Mark Bennett

Anthony,

The umbraco CMS install will be made up of compiled binaries - the cms source contains the code for all of the umbraco compiled binaries so you can edit and change it round if you so wish (fix a bug, work with the community, further your understanding of the core libraries etc) - you wouldn't really run the cms source on a production web system it would just be for development.

Hope that helps.

Mark.

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Jan 07, 2013 @ 19:44
    Funka!

To add to what Mark wrote, for anyone who wishes to work more with the source code I would recommend once you get your feet wet to next learn how to fork (download) the source code to your local disk using Mercurial (Hg) instead of getting it as ZIP files from the Codeplex site. (Although this is certainly where I first started, but now I no longer bother to download the source code ZIP files from Codeplex anymore since Mercurial pulls it in much easier.)

Advantages of this are that you can (A) see the history and progression of changes to the codebase, with nice comments etc. describing and showing these changes; (B) you can easily switch ("hg update") between various versions in case you want to run a particular version from any moment in time; and finally (C) you can more easily experiment willy-nilly with making your own changes and keeping those around/managing them better so they don't get "lost" in a giant sea of files that might otherwise be difficult to keep track of. There are a few other advantages but these are the main ones that come to mind.

Hope this has been helpful!

• Anthony Candaele 1197 posts 2049 karma points
    Jan 08, 2013 @ 08:35
    Anthony Candaele

@Mark, thanks for the clarification. I was asking this question, as I want to learn how to create an Umbraco project in Visual Studio. I know understand that the source code is for contributing to the Umbraco Core and for getting insights in the Umbraco Core.

@Funka, thanks for the tip. Is it only possible to fork from Codeplex with Mercurial? Doesn't Codeplex support Git since lately?

thanks to Mark and Funka for your help,

Anthony

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Jan 08, 2013 @ 19:30
    Funka!

Hi again Anthony,

I didn't know Codeplex supports Git too, but if so then by all means go for it!  However I came back here not to say this but to post a link to a project just released last month that I ran across and bookmarked for looking into, just haven't yet... Umbraco Visual Studio Project.   Looks very worthwhile for taking a look at!

Best of luck!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft