Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alex 2 posts 2 karma points
    Aug 24, 2009 @ 23:03
    Alex

Completed Install, but Menus are not Populated within Umbraco 4.0.2.1

Hi all,

I have tried for an absolute age to get umbraco installed on my hosting setup which is a Plesk Shared Hosting package on Windows IIS7, Windows 2008 server with .net 3.5 (so they say - but the stack traces I got sometimes during install (had to fix somethings to get it to install )tell me its 2.55645...(not exact) - the server admin team assure me this is due to the way that plesk works).... yeah right.....

Anyway, I manages to install it a while ago, and followed the tutorial from Umbraco.org on installing umbraco on a shared plesk host. I just managed to overcome a problem this eveing which wasn't allowing me to log in due to the failed retreival of the hashed password, managed to get round this by changing the passwordFormat attribute under the provider tag in the web.config file to 'Clear'. (I know this is like stripping all the security out, but hey I just wanted to get in to Umbraco!!)

My problem is that having finally managed to actually log in to Umbraco, none of the menu hierarchy is populated (I know how this should look as I installed locally by way of testing Umbraco to decide if it was suitable for my purpose) When right clicking a grey box appears very breifly but doesn't show any content.

My first thought was, oh right have I not got javascript enabled? - I have. I tried to use Umbraco in both IE8 and Firefox, and they both definately have javascript enabled.

This has been such a long and exhausting process to actually install on a shared host that I am not happy to fall at the last hurdle.

I am running version 4.0.2.1

Any suggestions folks?

Alex Woodhead

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Aug 25, 2009 @ 00:12
    Chris Koiak

Firebug is your friend for JS debugging.

The tree is loaded in via an Ajax call on page load. Login to umbraco with firebug enabled and watch the calls that are being made. You'll probably see an error with the Ajax request (404, 500, etc).

If that is the issue it may point to (another!) server config issue.

Cheers,

Chris

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Aug 25, 2009 @ 06:35
    Dirk De Grave

It's probably a permission issue. Check whether the app pool identity user has modify rights on the umbraco install folder/files (especially the umbraco and umbraco_client folders)! Hosting with Plesk... takes a little more config before you can really start! I've always used these guidelines and never had issues, it's worth a shot!

Cheers,

/Dirk

• Alex 2 posts 2 karma points
    Aug 26, 2009 @ 12:59
    Alex

Chris:
    Unfortunately, I don't see any Ajax errors in Firebug.

Dirk:
    I have ammended my permissions - Plesk has two IIS permission groups and I am not sure of the difference - IIS (_User) and IIS WP (_User). I have given full control to both for all the folders, and the web.config file. Do I need to re-run the install now I have set these permissions? It hasn't fixed the problem at the moment.

Thanks for your input both!

Alex Woodhead.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft