Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Arie 224 posts 675 karma points
    Jan 08, 2013 @ 19:22
    Arie

System Requirements?

The current system requirements (http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/recommendations/recommended-reading-for-it-administrators/minimum-system-requirements) seem rather outdated (v. 4.7) and incomplete.

I'm wondering about the following:

1. Minimum RAM.
    2. RAM for additional instances.
    3. CPU specs
    4. SQL database size
    5. How much of a load can Umbraco handle before a server farm becomes a requirement?

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Jan 09, 2013 @ 01:14
    Mark Bennett

Arie,

It's a bit of a leading question to put something up like this as there is no simple answer - i'd switch it around the other way and ask what sites people are running on what hardware and explain what you are you trying to do?

The system requirements are not outdated they just tell you what you require to set up the framework from an application point of view - this of course is not related to hardware which is what you are asking about.

Regarding hardware then it all depends what you are going to do with Umbraco - are you going to run a lot of dynamic content (forum, blogs, client login etc) or are you going to just have lots of static pages. If it's going to be a lot of dynamic DB related stuff then you might want to look at some SQL server related documentation like running your log files on different hard disks from the data volumes or even using SSD's etc.

To give you an example of hardware I have a dedicated server that has a quad core xeon processor with 8GB ram and currently doesn't break a sweat running about 20 fairly static sites on it with approx 30-40 pages per site - some have blogs (I believe it would scale to around 100 sites maybe more) I also run a mail system on this server and it has absolutely no issues. It has a TB hard disk - the database size for umbraco is insignificant compared to mailbox sizes.

I hope this helps.

Mark.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft