Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew 93 posts 153 karma points
    Jan 09, 2013 @ 19:55
    Matthew

Media there but doesn't show in content tab after uploading site, 4.11.1

It seemed like most problems with uploading a new site were with either permissions or web.config settings so I tried installing 4.11.1 on both the new live host and local dev, using same credentials and SQL Exp locally, SQL Srv on the live site.  After developing the local version, I backedup and restored the db to the live site and FTP'd the rest, except the web.config file.

It seems to work fine except in the Media section, the media never loads in the Content tab, it just shows the whirlygig of death forever.  If you pick media from the tree though, it shows up in the Content tab, and if you use the media in a content node, it works fine.

Drag and drop doesn't work to upload new media but browse does, although after uploading new media, it doesn't show up in the Content tab either.

Because of all the parts that do work, I don't think I'm too far off but obviously something ain't rite.  This seemed like a good idea at the time although I haven't seen it suggested anywhere as a way to publish a site.  Any ideas?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 09, 2013 @ 22:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matthew

What browser are you using? Drag and drop will only work in newer browsers that has support for the drag and drop javascript API as far as I know. So if you're using IE9 it will not work.

Is it the FTP'ed media files that does not work on the live environment? Have you tried using Fiddler or have a look at the browser console to see if this gives any usefull information?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Jan 10, 2013 @ 01:57
    Matthew

Thank you for the reply, Jan.  The media doesn't show up in the Content tab of the Media section in any browser, IE9, FF or Safari, just the whirlygig, although you're right of course, the drag and drop doesn't work in IE9.  D&D does work in FF though, on both the dev and live sites.  Browse and upload does work fine in both browsers.

During the upload, I just deleted everything in the working live from the FTP app and then FTP'd the dev site up in it's place, excepting the web.config so yes, it's the media files and folders that were FTP'd, although they can be accessed one at a time from the left side tree, they just don't show up in the right side Content tab/pane.  Until you click on a single item in the left side, then they do.

It's like the function that loads the contents of the tree into the Content tab pane is looking for or pointing at something that isn't there, but if you point it directly at it, it can find it.

I don't know what the browser console is to look for useful information and I haven't yet used Firebug for anything except working out CSS issues.  I saw reference to Fiddler in other posts but don't actually know what that is either.  I shall go forth and investigate.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

Jan 10, 2013 @ 02:06
    Matthew

Firebug console says:

GET http://mywebsite.com/base/FolderBrowserService/GetChildren/-1"_=1357779618621  404 Not Found

X "NetworkError: 404 Not Found - http://mywebsite.com/base/FolderBrowserService/GetChildren/-1"_=1357779618621"

Does that help?

Jan 10, 2013 @ 02:16
    Matthew

And I see this:

Module IIS Web Core
    Notification MapRequestHandler
    Handler StaticFile
    Error Code 0x80070002
    Jan 10, 2013 @ 02:29
    Matthew

So, it looks like clicking on any single image in the tree displays it correctly in the content pane but clicking any folder, whether the top 'Media' folder or any new folders under it, gives the 404 not found error.  That includes if I create a new folder on the live site, it can't them either, although if I highlight the folder and browse and upload an image to it, it does display the image indivitually in the Image tab on the right hand pane.

Just can't seem to find the folders to display their contents, although it can work with them fine.

Weird.

Jan 10, 2013 @ 06:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matthew

Did you have folders and media on the live environment that you do not have locally? I suppose you're running two different databases as well? Because then it's probably because the folders and files are missing on the disk but there is an entry for them in the database.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Jan 10, 2013 @ 21:01
    Matthew

I went back and redid the whole thing, same result, so I opened a ticket with Softsys hosting and they found that setting the application pool to integrated resolved it.  Does this make sense?  Is it likely to cause any problems down the line?  My local dev computer is just a Win7Pro but I don't recall ever seeing a suggestion to do this or not do this locally. 

Jan 10, 2013 @ 23:40
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matthew

Yes that does make sense - have you checked your local app pool settings? It should be running integrated mode as well.

I really should have thought of that previously :)

Glad you got it solved.

/Jan

Jan 11, 2013 @ 00:12
    Matthew

Yep, it's integrated locally too, thanks.  Thanks for bearing with me.

Jan 11, 2013 @ 00:20
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matthew

Good to hear - hey, we've all been there and sometimes we get back to where we just don't get things so don't worry. This is a friendly place where we try to help each other out instead of flaming one another :)

Cheers,
    Jan 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft