Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rick 36 posts 150 karma points
    Jan 11, 2013 @ 15:08
    Rick

Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012 Web Edition Support

Hello All,

We develop and provide shared hosting services for Umbraco web sites and I'm going to bring up another set of servers soon. I've been poking around and don't seem to see anything official regarding support for Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012 (Web Edition). There are a few forum postings with people using SQL 2012, but I wasn't able to find anything on Windows Server 2012.

So the question is, can I run Umbraco 4.7.x or higher on Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012, or is Windows 2008 R2 and SQL 2008 the highest supported option right now?

Thank you in advance,

Rick

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Jan 13, 2013 @ 17:16
    Brendan Rice

In theory it should work Nick, I am in the middle of trying to install Umbraco on 2012 and have hit a few snags but it looks as though it should work, once I sort out the snags.

• William Kahler 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 14, 2013 @ 05:24
    William Kahler

I am getting several errors when trying to a Windows 2012 server Standard with SQL 2012 Standard:

1. Web platform installer: stuck in step one, it does not recognize the DB and will not move on.

2. Using manual install: C:\..xx.\.xx..\App_Data\TEMP\PluginCache\umbraco-plugins.hash' is denied.

I have tried to set the app pool to everything ranging from Administrator to Network Service... No Luck. So I am very curious if someone has the knowledge / recipe on how to do this install successfully...

Thanks
    William Kahler

Jan 15, 2013 @ 21:36
    Rick

I went ahead and gave this installation a shot and so far haven't run into any problems.

Below are the basic steps that I followed for my test installation (manual installation...my preference over WPI):

• Installed Windows Server 2012, configured Windows Updates for MS Update and installed a small pile of updates
    • Added and configured IIS 8 based on the information here: http://www.iis.net/learn/get-started/whats-new-in-iis-8/iis-80-using-aspnet-35-and-aspnet-45
    • Installed SQL Server 2012 Web Edition w/ SP1 (selected the full install and accepted all defaults)
    • Installed more Windows Updates
    • Created a directory structure for the test site (C:\Data\CMS01,C:\Data\CMS01\SQL | Web | IISLogs)
    • Created a CMS01 SQL database (config'd database and logs to be in C:\Data\CMS01\SQL)
    • Created SQL account for the CMS01 database (db_datareader, db_datawriter, db_ddladmin, db_securityadmin, public on CMS01)
    • Downloaded 4.11.3.1 and unpacked it to the C:\Data\CMS01\Web directory
    • IIS Setup
    •   - Disabled the default website
    •   - Created a CMS01 website pointing the physical path to C:\Data\CMS01\Web directory where I unpacked Umbraco to
    •   - Repointed the log files to the C:\Data\CMS01\IISLogs directory
    • Ran (as administrator) the permissions command script using the Applicaton Pool Name as outlined here: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/set-umbraco-folder-permissions-from-command-line
    • Restarted the application pool
    • Installed Firefox and made it the default browser
    • Ran through the Umbraco installation via Firefox (http://localhost/install)
    •   - Note: The installation appeared to be hung at the "Connecting..." phase which I've seen with other 4.10+ builds. I just waited for a few minutes, hit the Back button (on the page, not the browser back button), then the Install button again and it said it was completed (up-to-date)

Once that was all done I did some limited testing:

• Installed a few packages that I like to use (uComponents, Log4Umbraco, Config Tree, Cultiv Search Engine Sitemap (Razor), Examine Dashboard, Robots.txt Editor)
    • Dropped in some standard css/js files I use for getting started
    • Created Masterpage template
    • Create a few document types (with tabs, a couple fields and using nested document types)
    • Nested the new doc type templates under the Masterpage
    • Added a homepage and a few child pages via the content tab
    • Created a couple basic razor scripts/macros
    • Glued it together

At this point, with this limited testing, I've seen no issues and the site appears to render fine.

I'm certainly not saying that the above installation steps are "the right way", rather they are based on some procedures that I consistently used on Win2008R2 without issue and they seem to work on 2012. The main difference between 2008 and 2012 for me was, under 2008, I would use WPI to install the IIS Recommended Configuration rather than manually adding the IIS Role. That did not work on 2012...it kind of made a mess of things actually and I had to remove the role and add it back based on the information in the link above.

Anywho...I hope this helps someone!

• William Kahler 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 16, 2013 @ 02:20
    William Kahler

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your post. I tried the steps you listed, (added a few more directories to the list of permissions to set), and success, the site is now up and running.
    It failed installing the Blog package, but this might be a question of more permissions needed to be set.

Thanks again
    Willam

Jan 16, 2013 @ 02:45
    Rick

Hi William,

Thanks for the double confirmation on the installation and thanks for noting the changes needed for the permissions script...hope that didnt cause too many issues outside of the Blog package. I get so much good information from this forum that I really felt the need to contribute back...

Rick 

• Rob Williams 12 posts 31 karma points
    May 23, 2013 @ 19:05
    Rob Williams

I installed Umbraco 4.9 on windows 7 running SQL Server 2012.

The site seemed to run ok, but the backoffice stuff would not run.

• Brian Souder 4 posts 50 karma points
    Jan 15, 2014 @ 19:57
    Brian Souder

Seems like everyone is using the Express edition.  I was going to use the SQL Server 2012 Web Edition with SQL Server 2012 cloud server.  When I went to do the install, I gave it the SA password and told it to use the full version of SQL instead of express.  During the install I saw it installing SQL Server Express and IIS Express.  I have the full versions of both.  I am half tempted to use the SQL Server Express and save the hosting money, but we are pulling an 86 GB database across to it, and then doing quieries against it for reporting in a portal once it is on the webserver,  (I have no control over this - otherwise I would pre-process before sending)  I am thinking Express is going to have a breakdown. Is there a way to get it to recognize that I have SQL Server Web already installed?  I am using the Web Installer.

Jan 15, 2014 @ 21:27
    Rick

Personally, I've avoided the web installer for a long time for exactly that...it does stuff that you do not want it to do. Simply downloading and unpacking the setup files from the Umbraco site and following the instructions outlined above has a 100% success rate for me. Yes, its more time consuming in steps over the web installer, but the trade off is worth it for reliability and the clean installation. During the installation with this method, it will ask you for the SQL Server information rather than taking its best guess.

Note that this thread is a little dated so you'll have to adjust according especially in the permissions area as directories have chnaged throughout the releases.

Hope this helps...

• John Palmer 76 posts 201 karma points
    Jan 17, 2014 @ 08:11
    John Palmer

Yes, I also agree with Rick answer. I prefer donwload and then upload it to your root folder than install it from web platform installer. You need to wait and it is consume your time.

Jan 17, 2014 @ 14:31
    Brian Souder

Thanks Rick.  I will try your suggested method.  It is good to hear you are having success with it.  I will report back how I make out.

Jan 17, 2014 @ 14:51
    Brian Souder

I am assuming you are running the IIS in mixed mode .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.5 because you are hosting mutliple sites on one server.  I am going to be running one dedicated site on the server, so I am assuming setting up IIS 8 with .NET 4.5 in standard mode is fine.

• Rob Brown 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 24, 2014 @ 06:41
    Rob Brown

A few points to add about to get it going on Windows Server 2012.

• Make sure you install all the .NET Framework 4.5 Features (Server Manager > Add Roles and Features) . You MUST expand the .NET Framework 4.5 Features list and install ASP.NET 4.5 and most of the WCF Services except Message Queueing.
    • You'll need .NET 3.5 I believe for Sql Express 2012 (although I can't verify that)
    • The plugins.hash issue mentioned above is a permissions issue. Go to your website folder, right-click and give modify permissions to IISUsers. This will percolate down to all necessary areas in the Umbraco structure

Hope this helps.

Jan 27, 2014 @ 12:51
    Brian Souder

I did an initial install with Umbraco 6, and then deleted the database and files in the folder.  Then did a clean install of Umbraco 7.  This was also helpful in setting up the site:

Umbraco Manual Install

Pretty much the same info.  This was on Server 2012 and SQL Server 2012 Web Edition on Rackspace Cloud.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft