Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1101 karma points
    Jan 13, 2013 @ 17:18
    Brendan Rice

Object reference error on publish of migrated site on new server

I am trying to migrate a site from Windows Server 2008 to a WIndows Server 2012. The pages of the site don't load (object reference error) and when I try to publish a node I get the following error. Can anyone help please?

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Document.ToXml(XmlDocument xd, Boolean Deep) +205
       umbraco.content.PublishNodeDo(Document d, XmlDocument xmlContentCopy, Boolean updateSitemapProvider) +125
       umbraco.content.UpdateDocumentCache(Document d) +443
       umbraco.library.UpdateDocumentCache(Int32 DocumentId) +121
       umbraco.cms.presentation.editContent.Publish(Object sender, EventArgs e) +541
       System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnClick(ImageClickEventArgs e) +133
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +203
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3803

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.18033

• Matt Barlow | jacker.io 164 posts 740 karma points c-trib
    Jan 13, 2013 @ 18:03
    Matt Barlow | jacker.io

The link below is to a post that has exactly the same error as you, it was fixed by removing non-alpha numeric characters from the doc type aliases. Also check that all the templates have been copied across to the server. Check permissions and try restarting the app pool.

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/ourumb-dev-forum/bugs/25253-Error-publishingdeleting-content-from-previously-working-install

Jan 13, 2013 @ 20:19
    Brendan Rice

Thanks Matt, have tried removing any spaces from the "Home Page" document type without any luck. The actual error is shown below. I have tried setting the permissions even adding everyone with all permissions to try get it going but still no luck. Every looks as though it is copied.

Teh actual error on the front end is shown below:

http://109.73.171.27/

Any ideas?

• Matt Barlow | jacker.io 164 posts 740 karma points c-trib
    Jan 14, 2013 @ 12:11
    Matt Barlow | jacker.io

Looks like you fixed it? I don't see any errors on that page. What did you do?

Jan 14, 2013 @ 12:12
    Brendan Rice

Sorry meant to update the thread, got it fixed late last night. Turn out it when I unzipped the files again and set permissions everything worked again. Must have been a permissions issue.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft