Webmatrix Webdeploy not publishing entire SQL Server database

Dev machine:
    Umbraco v. 4.11.1
    Installed via WebMatrix via Microsoft WPI
    Windows 7
    IIS7 Express
    SQL Server 2008 r2 Express
    .NET 4.0

Hosted on Amazon server deployed via Microsoft WebMatrix AMI (http://aws.amazon.com/windows/amis/)

I have run into a somewhat interesting problem.  When I publish my databse via webdeploy on webmatrix, there seems to be an issue with NULL entries in the template fields in my SQL database.  When the database publishes it seems to stop when it encounters a NULL field, but it is not giving any errors that I can see (I am a bit new to using SQL so I may be missing something obvious).  The NULL entries are due to top level templates in my site not having a master template selected from the drop-down box (None is selected) but they are pointing to the default.master template in the first line as such:

<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/umbraco/masterpages/default.master" AutoEventWireup="true" %>

As I have limited expierence with SQL, this is only my best guess based on looking at the tables in the 'published' database on the server after running webdeploy from webmatrix.  I have gotten around this issue by using other tools to make a full SQL database backup, transferring the file to the hosting machine, and restoring the database from that backup.  This is rather tedious and annoying and I would like to know what is happening and how to stop it.  The interesting lines from the log file created by Webmatrix when publishing are as below:

1:45:13 PM: Adding child sqlScript (MSDeploy.Continous/dbFullSql[@path='server=.\SQLEXPRESS;database=umbraco_db;uid=umbraco_user']/sqlScript).
    1:45:13 PM: Opening SQL Connection with connection string 'data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;initial catalog=umbraco_db;user id=umbraco_user;pooling=False'. The 'transacted' setting for this connection is 'False'.
    1:46:18 PM: Publish completed.

Everything on the site runs fine both on the local dev machine and on the Amazon hosting account, as long as I manually move the database each time.  Any hints and/or suggestions will be very welcome. Thanks!

• Feodor Fitsner 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 19, 2013 @ 23:14
    Feodor Fitsner

Hi Josh,

You may try using Appveyor to deploy Umbraco to EC2 instance. Frankly, we didn't test Appveyor with Umbraco yet, but it worked great for DNN and Kentico.

I think the only difference would be to manually configure an XPath to Umbraco database connection string in appveyor.config. Our SQL packaging and deployment library does not depend on WebDeploy or any other 3rd party component and it's able to transfer SQL dbs byte-to-byte between SQL Server and SQL Azure (yes, you can deploy Umbraco to Azure VM + Azure SQL too using Appveyor).

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Disclamer: I'm Appveyor developer. I'm not trying to advertise here, but want to be helpful as nobody responded to you yet.

-Feodor

• Josh Olson 79 posts 207 karma points
    Jan 21, 2013 @ 16:38
    Josh Olson

Hey Feodor,

Thanks for the info.  I will take a look at your software just for curiositys sake, but it will not be a solution to my problem. I have already found a workaround that solves the problem (using open source software and some good 'ol grunt work), it is simply unwieldy and I would like for it to be more streamlined while still being free.

I am sure that it is something simple that I have overlooked due to me being a novice when it comes to SQL and one of the more vetren people here in the forum will have a solution for me to try.  It would be shocking to me if this was an actual problem with Webmatrix or the Amazon EC2 instance as I am sure I am not the only one deploying an Umbraco site with SQL Server Express through Webmatrix.  Thanks for the input though, and maybe another user who stumbles across this post will find your software to be the solution to their problem.

Cheers!

- Josh

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft