Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Hagström 1 post 22 karma points
    Jan 14, 2013 @ 16:01
    Peter Hagström

UmbracoCMS nuget, development, deploy and staging

Hi, Iam new on the forum so bare with me. 

We are trying diffrent approaches for development with Umbraco, there has been many project structures throughout the years, none have been verry good. 

What we whish to accomplish:

1. Complete VS2012 solution with a project that executes on F5, debugs nicely and so on. 
    2. Easy deployment to staging environment through TeamCity
    3. Easy way of upgrading umbraco version
    4. Masterpages, usercontrols, scripts etc should reside in project
    5. Solution should be easy to store in source control

I have tried the UmbracoCMS nuget and it looks promising, however there are some slight issues with deployment. 

"Publish" via VS does not work, am I supposed to copy the whole project directory after build to webroot? That seams a bit crude to me, and it won't build custom user controls.

What are my options? Should I setup a different type of project, what is the preferred way of doing development / semi automatic deploy 

• Steve Temple 63 posts 324 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jun 19, 2013 @ 13:33
    Steve Temple

How did you get on with this?

I'm looking at a better way of getting this in source control. I think using nuget to add umbraco to the project and not check in umbraco but have it automatically download and setup umbraco after checking out during the build process.

Steve

• Anton 36 posts 67 karma points
    Jun 24, 2013 @ 17:09
    Anton

Hi,

We use the following setup for all our development projects on Umbraco.

1. Set up a clean project using Visual Studio as a starting point - http://www.tekcent.com/articles/2013/getting-started-with-umbraco-and-visual-studio-2012/
    2. Enable NuGet Package restore on your Visual Studio Solution
    3. Create a Shared SQL DB - You may choose SQL AZURE as the DB connection so you can share the DB with development team members and build server
    4. After installation is complete submit your Visual Studio solution to git/bitbucket/svn or your source control
    5. Create a staging site for your project
    6. Setup TeamCity and connect to your source control provider
    7. Your build server should auto deploy any changes submitted to your source control to Staging (note the DB is shared in the connection string)
    8. You can use basic FTP or WebDeploy to deploy from your build server to your staging server
    9. Finally since all your DB is shared you may need to auto republish your website content - In that case create a generic handler to do the republishing for us:http://www.tekcent.com/articles/2013/republish-umbraco-content-in-continuous-integration-server/
    The key here is that the DB is shared through all the development locations.The tricky part is getting webdeploy working - Give me a shout if you need any pointers
    If you need more seperation of the DB you can look into use web.config transforms to switch the connection string between each build.  We have a build configuration for staging and production.  Our Staging site auto deploys on changes.  And our production build runs at 6am daily.
    Hope that helps.
    Anton
  • Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Jun 26, 2013 @ 15:48
    Tim

We have a very similar workflow to Anton, we've found it to work pretty well so far. I know there are some guys who have managed to automate a lot of the setup for projects, Anthony Dang did a very interesting talk about it at the UK meet up last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxE0qu4W0go

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft