Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• sundip 76 posts 339 karma points
    Jan 15, 2013 @ 16:17
    sundip

Copy website from one installation to other

Hi,

I tried to search for this here, but nothing helped me.

I have different websites ion Umbraco 4.7.1. I want to make them under one domain.

www.maindomain.com - main website - Umbraco 4.7.1

www.maindomain.com/1st - 1st website - Umbraco 4.7.1

The 1st website is already running on seprate domain. I have already installed new Umbraco on www.maindomain.com/1st

How can I copy everything from running website to here?

Appreciated.

Sundip

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Jan 15, 2013 @ 18:02
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Sundip

Your options are probably quiet limited due to the nature of the database - information is stored in multiple database tables and so it isn't a simple task of export data from one database to another. 

So some options:

1: Open the admin area on both sites and copy the content, page by page.

2: Create a package. You can select a bunch of content nodes for the package and then add the package to your new site. 

With both options above you will still have to check all the content pages and correct any "in-site" links and readd images / media files as well as the ID's for these will have changed in the database.

Option 2 may get your content into the site a bit quicker but you will still have to go back through all the pages to check them, so if it is a smalish site option 1 may prove the best. 

Maybe someone else can provide better suggestions / options.

Cheers, Nigel

• sundip 76 posts 339 karma points
    Jan 15, 2013 @ 18:09
    sundip

Hi Nigel,

Thanks, for a promp reply. I am still working on this and trying to figure out the quickest way to copy.

Your solution is what I am doing right now. My only benefit is I can use the same database which is there in existing website.

I am almost there by doing the following:

From the website I have copied everything to the new installed folder, means I have the old server connection under new installation with the same configuration as the old one.

Also, I have created package of the existing website with just Macros, Data types and document types, templates,  everything else copied manually to the ftp.

The above gave me the same website content working fine...huh..

Thanks,

Sundip

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft