Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonas Berling 30 posts 50 karma points
    Jan 16, 2013 @ 16:16
    Jonas Berling

Move 4.5.2-site to 4.11?

After having been away from the Umbraco world for about a year I am now coming back. And things have really happened! And my brain has really forgotten lots of what it once knew on the subject of Umbraco! So after a couple of hours of googling around I realised I need to go to the community with this question.

l have an old 4.5.2 development site from which I want to move all content/site to a fresh 4.1.whatever-is-the-latest-I-can-get. Is this feasible in any automatic way? Will all XSL-macros still work?

/Jonas

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 17, 2013 @ 20:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jonas and welcome back to the Umbraco world :)

You should be able to upgrade your installation. All XSLT files will work after upgrading.

I recommend you read the general notes and the more specific ones on updating here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/

I also recommend that you read the upgrade instructions from v4.10 to v4.11 carefully since there is a bunch of changes to the web.config file that you need to pay attention to.

If you're using uComponents you should also be aware that since the multinode tree picker has become a part of the core with the releae of 4.8 you need to either apply a workaround or upgrade uComponents to version 5 - you should do this when you've upgraded your installation to 4.8. Also be aware that there is a database change when upgrading to 4.8.

When upgrading to from 4.8 to 4.9 be aware that if you're using Chrome you can run into a cookie issue, which is related to chrome. Simply clear your cookies and you can access the backoffice once again.

I think this is what I've encountered when upgrading older installations to the latest release.

Of course make sure to have a backup of all your files and the database.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Jonas Berling 30 posts 50 karma points
    Jan 18, 2013 @ 08:16
    Jonas Berling

Great, thanks. Now, as I wrote I am actually not upgrading in the normal sense, I have the "luxury" of building up a new 4.11-site from scratch and then move content from my 4.5.2-site to that new site. I can see that some of your points above still are applicable but does my procedure present any other problems? I remember that there is som kind of a "pack site" function I am considering using to move from one site to the other, will that work when I move between 4.5.2 and 4.11?

/Jonas

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 18, 2013 @ 18:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Not that I can think of...but you could run into some "egg or hen" issues when doing it this way if you're using various multinode tree pickers that needs to have a startnode set.

Before content is created where the picker can get a value from, you can't have a start node. In order to create content you need the document types...:)

I must admit that it's been a while since I've packed up a whole site but I suppose it should be working properly and if it does the issue mentioned above should not be an issue unless node id's change when importing the package...so perhaps it's a good idea to make a POC before digging in.

Also check if the document types are imported correctly if you're nesting them. In older versions (in 4.0.x versions) the nesting was not reflected in the package XML - Can't remember if that was also an issue in 4.5 though.

To visualize the potential issue have a look at this showing the document type structure

Master
       - Textpage
       -  News

After the package import 

Master
    Textpage
    News

Hope this makes sense.

Happy "upgrading" :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: