Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Arie 224 posts 675 karma points
    Jan 22, 2013 @ 15:14
    Arie

Upgrading to v6.0.0 RC - Installer runs Database Configuration

I'm upgrading a 4.11.3 install to 6.0.0 RC, but when I run the installer (/install/) it doesn't seem to recognize the database. Shouldn't it be skipping this step?

Database configuration
    To complete this step you will either need a blank database or, if you do not have a blank database available, choose the SQL CE 4 embedded database (This is the recommended approach for first time users or if you are unsure).
    If you are not using the SQL CE 4 embedded database you will need the connection details for your database, such as the "connection string". You may need to contact your system administrator or web host for this information.
    1. Select which database option best fits you: I already have a blank SQL Server, SQL Azure or MySQL database I want to use SQL CE 4, a free, quick-and-simple embedded database I'm an advanced user, let me put in the connection string I need help

• William Burnett 213 posts 262 karma points
    Jan 22, 2013 @ 17:13
    William Burnett

They screwed up the Database check... It appears in work item http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-1384

Yet the "fix" never made it into the "RC" that has been sitting out there since the 10th. Really?

Something about change set 64b49e4d53c5... but that means nothing to me or 99.9% of the rest of the Umbraco users.

Honestly folks... how do simple things like this get overlook so often? You posted an Release Candidate 2 weeks ago and yet nobody can upgrade to 6.0 because the uploaded RC has a bug that prevents the upgrade from running.

Jan 22, 2013 @ 17:18
    Arie

The work item specifically references SQLCE. However, I'm using MS SQL Express (2008, I believe).

Jan 22, 2013 @ 17:31
    William Burnett

I am also using SQL Express...

Whatever the case is, as appears that we are (again?) having issues prioritizing issues in favor of shoving things out the door, working or not.

I suppose, one day somebody will fix the issue...  Nothing like having to look 5 different places for version specific upgrade procedures, then trudge through WinMerge and deal with the fact that each contributor formats the closing slash or line padding differently... etc, etc.  I love Umbraco, but am growing ever more tired of having to wear a code monkey's hat just to upgrade from version to version.

Hey Umbraco... what about (2) of each file in the CONFIG and section..

One file for user/package specific additions and the other for version specific settings. In that way the upgrade path would be simply to overwrite ALL of the version specific config files and we could avoid 90% of the hassle. 

• Phill 115 posts 289 karma points
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 18:24
    Phill

Has anyone had any luck upgrading a 4.11.3 site yet? I was able to get past the install to a semi-working site but the Packages and Relation Types in the backed were duplicated and therefore any page that used an installed package threw YSOD and not able to do anything about it in the backed. See screen shot of what I mean.

Jan 25, 2013 @ 04:35
    Arie

Finally figured it out. The first option reads:

1. Select which database option best fits you:

I already have a blank SQL Server, SQL Azure or MySQL database

However, this apparently is the one to select even if you already have a fully populated (i.e. not blank!) database...

Jan 25, 2013 @ 04:42
    Arie

@Phill - low and behold - I'm seeing the same duplicate nodes. 

Jan 25, 2013 @ 04:50
    Arie

I've logged an issue for the duplicate node issue: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-1547

• Morten Christensen 596 posts 2773 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 09:05
    Morten Christensen

Hi All,

We are aware of the issues with the installer when upgrading to version 6, and we are working on improving it so the issues you are describing will not occur.

First of all we'll ensure that you won't be presented with the Database Configuration step if you already have configured the database, as you would have when upgrading from an earlier version. We are also working on improving the verification of the database schema upon upgrading, so errors are less likely to occur and if issues should arise we'll try to present some details that are more informative then the current ones.

And thanks for reporting these issues. It helps us a lot when other people test and find issues we haven't been able to find

- Morten

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 10:13
    Niels Hartvig

@William: I'm aware that it's deeply frustrating when you can't get a site upgraded, but the issue you refer to haven't been ignored, but actually fixed for the issue that was reported BEFORE the RC went out. Unfortunately, while the SQL error is the same it *is* a different error from what we're seeing with older Umbraco installations that has been upgraded.

For what it's worth this issue haven't been reported until the RC went out and we're fixing it before the RTM. Nothing here is rushed and the whole process have been totally transparent. We can't fix issues that we're not aware of and haven't found ourselves. And we've tested a lot of upgrades!

In addition - as Morten describes above - we're going through the upgrade wizard with open eyes again and will improve it so it's very clear when we're upgrading and when we're installing. It was quite an eye opener to see how unlogic a lot of the instructions were, as it was mostly copywriting from the installer that's shown when an upgrade is actually running.

In parallel with this we're going to work on simplifying upgrades in the future. One day we want to be able to enable automated upgrades (that will however, require some level of validation of 3rd party packages as some uses weird tricks, some calls data outside of Umbracos API, etc).

Best,
    Niels... 

Jan 25, 2013 @ 13:36
    William Burnett

Thank you for the responses.

In my case it appears that one of the problems was the "UmbracoConfigurationStatus" key. The installer chokes on a blank or null value, almost the opposite behavior from previous versions. Would it not be better to store the version config status in the bd anyway?

Secondly:

Is there any merit to isolating the umbraco version specific and user/package configurations files. In that way, an upgrade would overwrite the umbraco version specific config items and not touch the user/package condifuration options?  As it stands now user/package configuration specific items are mixed in with the core configuration items and even using WinMerge, the upgrade process is frustrating on a good day.

Jan 25, 2013 @ 14:21
    William Burnett

Reported in bugs, but posting here also:

After upgrade from 4.11 to 6.0 I am unable to insert media into content editor. Result is a null reference error. Also media preview is not working in the media section. When clicking a media folder, you get a spinning icon that never loads the preview.

Jan 25, 2013 @ 16:15
    Arie

For what it's worth, no problems with the media on the instance I upgraded to 6.0.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft