Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew Kelley 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 23, 2013 @ 21:33
    Matthew Kelley

Umbraco 4.11.3.1 fresh install, having an issue with Encryption Algorithms

I am trying to install a fresh copy of Umbraco 4.11.3.1 on my local server to begin development of a site, however I am running into an issue when running the setup.

When the server tries to load default.apsx, it throws an error saying that this implimentation doesn't meet the "FIPS Validated Cryptographic Algorithms". After some digging, I found that "FIPS" stands for "Federal Information Processing Standard" and it is a setting on the local security policy for our server. I am unable to turn of the FIPS setting because it is forced via group policy (I'm on a DOD installation which is why it is forced).

So my question is: is there a way to change Umbraco's hashing/encryption alogrithm(s) to one that is compliant with FIPS?

-Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2008, Umbraco 4.11.3.1

• Paul Sterling 718 posts 1534 karma points MVP 9x admin c-trib
    Jan 23, 2013 @ 22:00
    Paul Sterling

Hi Matthew -

Ideally knowing what the policy is using to verify FIPS compliance will point you in the right direction - if you can get that information I'm sure the solution will be much more apparant.  FWIW - last time I saw this message it was solved simply by adding a unique machine key to the site's web.cofig.  Have a look here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/w8h3skw9(v=vs.100).aspx

-Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft