Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dandouglio 4 posts 24 karma points
    Jan 25, 2013 @ 17:22
    dandouglio

Rich Text Editor Not Showing

I have recently installed 4.11.1 on a 2008R2 server. It all seems to be working OK apart from when you use the richtext editor it doesnt show up on the page. You just get an empty grey box where it should be.

The server in question is on a DMZ on the other side of a firewall. The odd thing is that it works OK if you run IE on the server or any other server in the same domain as it. Once you come into our internal network however it falls over.

I have reinstalled and applied 4.11.3 and it does the same.

Completely confused. Please help.

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Jan 26, 2013 @ 19:14
    Charles Afford

Are you saying its not showing up in the content tree for the document type?  If so you need to check wether the property is set to RichTextField :)

• Rasmus Trumf 78 posts 160 karma points
    Jan 27, 2013 @ 00:02
    Rasmus Trumf

I have the same problem on same server. The rich text box shows on my dev machine (win7) with same files and dev + server shares same DB...

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 27, 2013 @ 09:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi guys

Usually this is caused by either a permissions issue or simply that the files for the rich text editor for some reason does not exist on the server.

I recommend setting the permissions on the Umbraco root folder all over for the IIS_IUSR group or specifically for network service and iusr.

If that does not help double check that the files for the RTE does exist on the server. When viewing a document type where the RTE is missing try having a look in the browser console to see what errors it gives.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 27, 2013 @ 17:11
    Rasmus Trumf

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but i think the error is the same. I get this from console:

Resource interpreted as Script but transferred with MIME type text/html: "http://www.website.dk/umbraco/plugins/tinymce3/tinymce3tinymceComp…acoimg,umbracocss,umbracopaste,umbracolink,umbracocontextmenu&languages=en".

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token < /umbraco/plugins/tinymce3/tinymce3tinymceCompress.aspx?rnd=431f1f85-0515-4a…oimg,umbracocss,umbracopaste,umbracolink,umbracocontextmenu&languages=en:2

Uncaught ReferenceError: tinyMCE is not defined 

Jan 27, 2013 @ 17:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rasmus

Have you checked that the tinymce files exists on your server?

If they do have you tried setting permissions all over again? This is usually the 2 things that are causing the issue.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 27, 2013 @ 17:43
    Rasmus Trumf

there is InsertAnchor, insertChar, insertImage, insertLink, insertMacro and tinymce3tinymceCompress in the \Umbraco\Plugins\Tinymce3 folder on the server and I have tried given everyone full control over the whole site. No luck!

I think it might have something to do with the mime error shown above. Maybe tinymce3tinymceCompress is blocked or something...

Jan 27, 2013 @ 17:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Are you using Chrome? If so it says some weird things about mime-type sometimes that usually is not neccesarily true. Don't know why - so if you've chekced in Chrome try checking in Firefox and see if that also gives a mime-type error.

I would be surprised if that was the cause.

Try uploading the entire umbraco and umbraco_client folders once again.

/Jan

Jan 27, 2013 @ 19:13
    Rasmus Trumf

Yes it was a chrome thing with the MINE issue...

My problem is solved. I removed URLScan from the site. 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Jan :)

http://www.pressthered.com/rejected-by-urlscan_404_errors/

Jan 28, 2013 @ 10:28
    dandouglio

Still no luck here.

I have given iis_iusrs full control over the site and restarted. same error

I have copied the umbraco/plugins/tinymce and umbraco_client/tinymce from a working install and restarted. same error.

From the IE9 console the error I get is :-

SCRIPT5009: 'tinyMCE' is undefined

Jan 28, 2013 @ 14:31
    dandouglio

Finally got to the bottom of it.

Our Mcafee web gateway was blocking the umbraco_client\tinymce3\plugins\umbracoembed\editor_plugin_src.js file as a virus!

Thanks for your help.

• Henk Poell 2 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 17:21
    Henk Poell

Yet another thing that can go wrong (you can really loose time on these things):

Having GIT ignore "media", the \umbraco_client\tinymce3\plugins\media folder not being released.

• Shafiq 12 posts 62 karma points
    Dec 23, 2013 @ 01:07
    Shafiq

I had similar issue after upgrading to 6.1.6 from 4.7. In my case the stand-alone upgraded project was working fine but when I merged to my old/existing project to upgraded one, I found this issue. thanks to "dandouglio" for pointing me to correct place to hook. I found that umbraco_client\tinymce3\plugins\ folder missing 5/6 folders. I just copied those folders from working one to merger project and rockssss :-)

• Daniel 44 posts 187 karma points
    Apr 15, 2015 @ 16:03
    Daniel

Although this is an old thread I thought I would share my solution to this issue as I bumped into it when upgrading to 4.11 (on my way to 7.2).

As Jan was saying in his first reply, if the RTE shows up on your local machine but not on the server, there are probably some files missing on the server. In my case I use Web Deploy in Visual Studio to deploy to the server and with this methos only the files that are included in the project are copied over to the server. In 4.11 there are several new plugins to the tineMce component. So have a look in the folder \umbraco_client\tinymce3\plugins\ and make sure all subfolders are included in the project before publishing to the server.

This solved it for me. Thanks Jan for nudging me the right way.

Apr 15, 2015 @ 16:28
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Daniel

Happy to hear that I could help even though this is an old post :) I think many tend to forget that files not included in the VS project will not be deployed. I tend to forget it myself all the time since I prefer not to use VS if I can avoid it (Frontend developer) - And thanks for sharing this information, which I'm sure will come in handy for others as well if they come across this post when searching for solutions to this issue.

Happy umbracoing :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft