Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• hsj 3 posts 23 karma points
    Jan 27, 2013 @ 14:32
    hsj

Bringing an existing MVC Razor application into Umbraco 4.10.1

We need to bring a current MVC website we have into Umbraco.  I have just upgraded to 4.10.1 and I want to know what's the best option to bring the website as a whole into Umbraco.

Ideally I would load the MVC project file into the Umbraco solution and then make changes to the views and controllers to interface with Umbraco but I'm guessing there's more to it than that.

I've been reading the blogs but so far I haven't seen them cover this scenario, I would like to avoid rebuilding the site view by view and try rather to keep it in a separate project.

Any suggestions where to start?

• Damiaan 442 posts 1302 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Feb 01, 2013 @ 12:57
    Damiaan

The easiest way might be a new application subfolder in you current website.  If this is not an option, then what is your umbraco background?  What do you read from the documentation on http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/mvc/ ?

Kind regards

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Jun 14, 2013 @ 04:49
    Funka!

I wonder this same question. But I don't want a subfolder application. How REALLY does one integrate the two? Is it even possible?

So far, all this "MVC" ability of Umbraco seems to offer is a fancier razor syntax and a lateral move of using child actions instead of user controls. Maybe I'm "missing the boat" here, but there seems to be a real lack of knowledge and experience going on regarding how to really, properly develop an MVC app and tie it into Umbraco. (And no, SurfaceControllers and RenderMvcControllers don't count.) Am I missing some secret document or blog post somewhere that explains how to do this? Or is it simply not recommened or possible???

Thank you!

• Damiaan 442 posts 1302 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jun 14, 2013 @ 08:15
    Damiaan

Hi

I blogged about my experiences at http://blog.dampee.be/post/2013/03/29/Convert-MVC-application-to-Umbraco-v6-using-Custom-Routes.aspx. You are not missing any documentation  or other missing pages. 

are you at codegarden? If so, ping me at @dampeebe, or find me in person. Or just throw up an openspace about this topic.

Jun 18, 2013 @ 00:38
    Funka!

Damiaan, thank you so much for this!  I'm working my way through the advice in your linked blog article and things are looking promising so far! I'm hoping later today to do a test deployment and see how it all works out in production.

Am I correct in that by using NuGet for the Umbraco integration, upgrading Umbraco to future versions will be "one-click" just like anything else with NuGet? I've always just installed (and upgraded) from codeplex binaries per the recommended advice, and occasionally play around with the full source code to see how things work from time to time, but never actually deployed a live site directly from Visual Studio before.

My ideal feeling right now is that I'd like to keep my MVC app as separate as possible from Umbraco (as in, preferably in a separate VS project altogether) to minimize any interference and simplify future upgrades, but perhaps with Umbraco as a NuGet package I don't need to worry about this...? Any other pitfalls or gotchas you can think of that I should be aware of in upgrading/deploying like this?

Thanks again for your reply!

Jun 18, 2013 @ 21:04
    Funka!

Still working on getting things built and lots of other challenges still.

Oddly, when I right-click in a controller method and select "Add View", the Add View dialog seems to crash and disappear when I check the "Create a strongly-typed view" checkbox. This is in VS 2010 and the dialog works fine in other MVC projects. Nothing I can't work around of course, just a bit annoying.

And also to answer and clarify a bit on my own question earlier, I did see the notes in the nuget package about how when you upgrade, you need to manually diff your config files. So my question I guess is other than that, are there any other challenges to be aware of??

Thanks again!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft