Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig Cronin 304 posts 503 karma points
    Jan 27, 2013 @ 19:07
    Craig Cronin

Unpublish issue

I have a customer that has moved their deployment from azure back to a standard server with Microsoft SQL server and all seems ok but when I unpublish the information doesnt disappear on the web even though this works on the azure live site.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 27, 2013 @ 19:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Craig

That's a weird issue - what version of Umbraco is being used? And have you checked the umbraco log table to see if that provides any usefull information when unpublishing?

/Jan

Jan 27, 2013 @ 19:44
    Craig Cronin

Hi Jan, it was version 7.1.1 but the azure site has been working between 3 servers and its my first umbraco on Azure which has been a little strange.  I think i have fixed the issue though and it looks like it was something in the umbracoSettings file.

Thanks for the post back though Jan

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1101 karma points
    Jan 28, 2013 @ 01:03
    Brendan Rice

Hi Craig

could you give a little more detail on what the fix was please? It would really help if anyone else hit the same issue.

Just curious, but why did your client want to move off Azure (I was thinking about using it)?

Thanks,

Jan 28, 2013 @ 09:11
    Craig Cronin

Hi Brendan,

Yes, sorry.  To be honest I'm not quite sure what I done.  I could see that the whole site was working apart from this.  I've tried rebuilding the umbraco cache and taken the azure references away from the web.config but it would allow me to unpublish but the nodes wouldn't dissappear from the website.  Without knowing too much about it, i thought that maybe there was some caching references somewhere and noticed there were some difference in the umbracoSettings.config.  I replaced this file with another from a standard server install and it worked.

It was due to cost.  Currently they have a very big domain name that has a rental of thousands of pounds each month.  They want to make a copy of the site on a domain name that they own and then use the monthly rental money on advertising etc.  This was in the future they should be able to save money by owning the domain name independently.  It did make sense for the domain name they were using but currently they will be starting with zero traffic.

Hope this helps Brendan :)

Jan 28, 2013 @ 10:27
    Brendan Rice

Thanks Craig, that is really interesting about the rental cost getting into thousands of pounds a month. I normally set up a virtual server for larger sites but was thinking of using Azure or AWS, guess I would really need to be sure about costs before I went that road. 

Jan 28, 2013 @ 12:36
    Craig Cronin

Hi Brendan, its not the azure which costs thousands a month it is my customers domain name.  The azure has been quite affordable really about £100 each month, but he is switching to my dedicated server for £150 a year, due to this being a brand new domain name.

In the future if website became bigger then he would move it back to azure.

Jan 28, 2013 @ 20:46
    Brendan Rice

Ah OK, I get you now. What is Azure like for Umbraco?

Jan 28, 2013 @ 23:42
    Craig Cronin

I havent any experience of Azure previously but it was quite nice and simple in fariness.  The only issue I had was that I'm only a freelancer and the domain name couldn't go down.

It was nice and easy to have multiple servers for redunancy so if his site grows in the future he will definately have to move it back to the platform.  I'm a team leader over a public sector web team and would definately consider this for our corporate site.

Pluralsight had good training for £20 a month.

Jan 28, 2013 @ 23:53
    Brendan Rice

It is definatley something I would consider, I am on Pluralsight must check out the training, I had watch AWS training videos and was very impressed with it.

Thanks for the tips :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft