Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Garry Bain 149 posts 124 karma points
    Aug 28, 2009 @ 13:24
    Garry Bain

Problem with deleting content/emptying recycle bin after migration

Hi,

I have just migrated a site back to my development desktop box from another host. I have everything setup how it was except I cannot actually delete any content or empty my recycle bin. I can create pages and it appears in my menu (thus xslt is working fine) and I can edit CSS and this reflects on the site. But I cannot delete any content to the recycle bin or empty the recycle bin itself - it just stays on the "please do not close this window while this operation takes place".

I have checked my permissions and I have applied full access control to ASPNET on all the appropriate folders and I can't seem to figure out where the problems lays. It is umbraco 4 hosted on IIS5.

Any help would be great, cheers, Garry.

• Daniel Lindstrom 454 posts 271 karma points
    Aug 28, 2009 @ 13:35
    Daniel Lindstrom

Does changes to pages reflect to the front end? Can you publish new pages?

If not, try deleting umbraco.config see if that helps. Even though the symtoms are not typical I still supsect this might be a permission issue. I experienced and read several examples of strange behaviour after migrating, that seems to have to do with the umbraco.config file not being updated when working in the back end, even though the permissions seems OK on fodler level.

It might be worth a try at least.

Aug 28, 2009 @ 13:40
    Garry Bain

The changes do reflect in the front end and I can create new pages - just deleting them is a problem. But I've discovered that its like this on the old server I migrated from - I just never noticed because it was only on the server to be looked at - no one actually tested it at any point - so I think what has happened is that it has corrupted when I initially moved from dev to live - and now im bringing it back to dev - the corruption has followed through.

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Aug 28, 2009 @ 13:45
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Garry,

Is this a site that was upgraded from an earlier version of Umbraco?

What if you try to empty the recycle bin a few times in a row (pay no attention to the message, just close the window). That worked for me on a site that had the same behaviour.

Peter

Aug 28, 2009 @ 14:13
    Garry Bain

Hi Peter,

No it wasn't an uprade it was a clean install of umbraco 4 - and the multiple tries of emptying the recycle bin hasnt made a difference Is there a  chance theres maybe a missing file or script as opposed to permissions? Whats the best way to go about checking?

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Aug 28, 2009 @ 14:21
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Check the umbracoLog-table in the DB. It can hold usefull information about what goes wrong.

• Njal 10 posts 31 karma points
    Feb 01, 2011 @ 23:26
    Njal

I had a similar problem. I was able to empty the recycle bin by removing orphan nodes. See my blog for details: blog.degree.no/.../

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft