Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Mihaylov 8 posts 28 karma points
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 18:24
    Martin Mihaylov

Version 6.0, compile and deploy from source code.

Hello, 

I am completely new Umbraco user. The version I am using is 6.0. I downloaded the source code from codeplex. After I open the solution and rebuild it, I can start the installation wizard.

If I want to change something

- in the core functionallity

- or add something new to umbraco

how should I compile and deploy these changes. Let's say I have another environement (staging) where I have installed Umbraco. Do I have to manually copy some DLL files or some deployment package should be created?

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 18:49
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Martin, welcome to Umbraco!

Being new to Umbraco and trying to compile it from the source is quite a steep learnign curve.  I'd recommend giving Umbraco a try using the release (or NuGet) first.

As for changing things in the core - what are you thinking of doing?

A key attraction to Umbraco is it's points of extensibility - you can hook into most places using the API and config settings.

Deployment is usually a case of XCOPYing the files from your /bin to the target environment.  Of course there are many various ways to do this.

Let us know what you are thinking of doing, we may have some ideas for you.

Cheers, Lee.

• Martin Mihaylov 8 posts 28 karma points
    Feb 05, 2013 @ 21:10
    Martin Mihaylov

Hi Lee, thank you for your quick reply. 

Actually, I have successfuly installed Umbraco (manully from the zip file) at two different environments with two separate databases.

I have been playing with it for the last 2 days. Having background with other web applications and CMS systems especially, the way they are updated is to compile them and then copy to production environement new DLLs, views(aspx), client scripts, styles etc. I guess this is not the case with Umbraco? 

I saw that one option for deployment, between different environments, is using this add on Umbraco Courier 2? Would you recommend it?

To be honest I am not sure what kind of core functionality I need to change. I am asking because I am not familiar enought (apparently) with the way Umbraco works. Probably I won't need to change anything. 

Regards, Martin

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft