Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carlo Castillo 10 posts 30 karma points
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 12:03
    Carlo Castillo

404 - File or directory not found.

Hi,

I need help in deploying Umbraco 4.11.4 on Windows Server 2008 R2. I followed the documentation but IIS is returning a '404 - File or directory not found' error when I publish and run the starter site.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks!

• Bruce Williams 11 posts 32 karma points
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 12:39
    Bruce Williams

Carlo,

I had the same problem a year ago this is the thread.http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/30599-New-installation-problems

have found that umbraco installed via the Webmatrix seems to be missing a file. I had three servers with each team getting the same result. We set up web server 2008 iis7 installed umbraco via webmatrix no website. Tested installation checked out as ok then dropped in a standard website worked fine. I guess that there are version problems with webmatrix covering all the parts. The trick is to see which version combo is in webmatrix. It does not help with webmatrix changing its front end too quickly. We had two different versions of webmatrix from their site over a few weeks (this may have settled down as this was two months ago).

Try dropping in a test website.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Feb 07, 2013 @ 12:56
    Carlo Castillo

Thanks for the reply Bruce!

I'm installing umbraco manually and followed the procedures here http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/how-to-install-umbraco-on-windows-server-2008

The admin site is working fine, I installed the starter kit, published the site, hit preview or actual link, then IIS returns the 404 error. :(

Carlo

• Ali Sheikh Taheri 470 posts 1648 karma points c-trib
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 23:55
    Ali Sheikh Taheri

Hi Carlo,

Right click on the node below content then select publish. then select publish all the children.

then right click on the Content section and select Republish entire site.

Thanks

Ali

• Asif Malik 203 posts 339 karma points
    Feb 08, 2013 @ 17:45
    Asif Malik

Hi Carlo are you getting the default IIS page not found message? or the umbraco one ? are you using umbracoUseDirectoryUrls?

Feb 11, 2013 @ 07:51
    Carlo Castillo

@Ali -- I republished the entire site from root node to each page but still no luck :(

@Asif -- Yes I'm getting the defualt IIS 404 page not found message. I will look into umbracoUseDirectoryUrls and give you guys an update.

I tried deploying again but this time under a new Web Site and it worked. BUT the way I want to be setup is under the Default Web Site, as a new Web Application (together with my other web apps under port 80)

Thanks!

Feb 11, 2013 @ 09:37
    Carlo Castillo

@Asif -- umbracoUseDirectoryUrls is set to false

Carlo

Feb 12, 2013 @ 07:45
    Carlo Castillo

Following up on this issue. To summarize again, I'm trying to install umbraco 4.11.4 under the "Default Web Site" in Windows Server 2008 R2 w/ IIS 7.5.

The "Default Web Site" also contains other applications. After running umbraco setup, I installed the strater kit and published all the contents. When I view the published page I get an IIS error "Server Error - 404 - File or Directory not found".

Please help. Thanks!

Carlo

Feb 13, 2013 @ 17:12
    Carlo Castillo

up

Feb 14, 2013 @ 15:36
    Carlo Castillo

up

Feb 14, 2013 @ 15:40
    Asif Malik

Hi carlos as you are getting an IIS file not found error it woudl suggest something with your IIS set up. If it manages ot get through to Umbraco then you should get the umbraco error message. Can you post the URLs that you are using for the back office and the front pages

Feb 15, 2013 @ 07:45
    Carlo Castillo

Hi Asif, here are the URLs --

Umbraco Admin -- http://localhost/iris/umbraco/login.aspx

Getting started page -- http://localhost/iris/getting-started.aspx

Umbraco Admin is working just fine while the getting-started.aspx page throws an IIS 404 error. I made sure that the contents were all published and republished.

Thanks!

Feb 15, 2013 @ 09:59
    Asif Malik

Hi Carlo, i actually have never run an umbraco installation as a virtual folder within a website but i think the issue you are facing has something to do with the configuration either within Umbraco or potentially you have a web.config file in the root of your website which is interfering with the Umbraco config file. Sorry i cant be of much help but this is a tricky one to diagnoise without havign access to the underlying systems

Feb 18, 2013 @ 09:13
    Carlo Castillo

thanks Asif, this is now becoming really frustrating for me. :(

Anyone here who has successfully installed umbraco (im using 6) under the Default Web Site together with other web applications?

- Default Web Site

-- Application1

-- Application2

-- UmbracoApp

• Ali Sheikh Taheri 470 posts 1648 karma points c-trib
    Feb 18, 2013 @ 11:14
    Ali Sheikh Taheri

Hi Carlo,

As far as I know you cannot install umbraco under another webstie, just try it as a stand alone website to see if it works or not!

Cheers

Ali

May 06, 2013 @ 11:46
    Carlo Castillo

Good day everyone!

Just want to check if this has been resolved with version 6? I'm trying to install umbraco under another web site in IIS.

Thanks,

Carlo

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft