Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom Rankin 7 posts 27 karma points
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 22:42
    Tom Rankin

Data problems after upgrading to Umbraco 6 : data fields being cleared

I went through a pretty smooth test upgrade to Umbraco 6, with no errors.  However after testing I'm running into a couple of issue.

The first time I published a page the system hung and finally responded with a timeout.  Subsequently publishing went very quickly with an odd error.

Some fields are not persisting.

I have a pretty common BodyText field on several of my doc types.  The system is consistently deleting the data in the field after I have published.

Steps to reproduce

1. Select Home Page in backoffice
    2. Update data in BodyText field
    3. Publish
    4. Verify new data shows on public site
    5. Re-Select Home Page in backoffice
    6. Verify that BodyText field is empty

This is actually happening on a couple of other fields as well, one specifically called "Abbreviation"

Any insight would be appreciated.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 07, 2013 @ 23:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Tom

What does the error message say?

/Jan

Feb 08, 2013 @ 02:55
    Tom Rankin

It's just the generic asp.net script timeout error.  It's not specific to the Umbraco runtime.

Feb 22, 2013 @ 18:23
    Tom Rankin

I've done a little bit more research into this issue, and I can verify that the problem is related to different types of documents that have the same name for fields.  However it is not entirely consistent.

I have a field on the home page that wasn't showing this issue.  The field was called "Column Left Content".  Every time I published the home page, that field would would persist properly.  In order to test my theory, I added a field with the same name to another document type in the system.   I returned to the home page, published then after reselecting the home page in the content tree, that field was empty.

I have also noticed that my first publish after web server restart takes a very very long time (1-2 minutes) .  This was the script timeout error that I ran into before, but I overcame this by increasing the script timeout period.  

I have also noticed that when I add a new property to a document type, saving takes a very very long time (1-2 minutes)  as well.  I assume that it's related to the fact that I have several thousand nodes in my system.

I haven't fully tested out my next hypothesis, but I believe that this is also related to the fact that the "Tab" for these pages is inherited from a base document type.  

My Document structure is as follows

Base Web Page
    - Home Page
    - Text Page

Base Web Page defines the "Content" Tab, Home Page and Text Page define the "Body Text" field in that tab.  Whenever I publish one of those pages, the Body Text field is cleared.

I believe that the shared / inherited tab is also related to the issue because I do also have other fields on other document types that share the same name as each other that do not exhibit this problem, however they all have their own tabs on their own document types.

Again, any help would be appreciated.  I'm likely getting my research to a point where I should file this as a bug.  I'm going to try to duplicate this on a clean install. 

Feb 22, 2013 @ 18:29
    Tom Rankin

One further test related to my "Column Left Content" scenario.  I moved the property to a different tab on the second document and the problem no longer exists.

So, I feel confident that I can verify that properties defined on seperate document types with the same name but sharing an the same inherited tab do not persist correctly.  Those same properties placed in different tabs persist as expected.

Feb 22, 2013 @ 18:39
    Tom Rankin

ok.. I see that there is an issue raised that is almost identical to mine.

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-1685

• Tony H 52 posts 69 karma points
    Feb 27, 2013 @ 19:05
    Tony H

I just had the same/similar problem = very frustrating.

Thanks to your post I tried renaming all PageType properties to something uniq - this solved the blank content page issue for me.

Aldough now my pagetype headers cant be named header on all pages, instead they are colled article1header on one pageType and article2header on another, etc.

Thanks again - you probably saved me some hours :)

// T

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft