Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andreas Ek 4 posts 24 karma points
    Aug 29, 2009 @ 09:03
    Andreas Ek

Development environment with Visual Studio

I want to use Umbraco for development and use Visual Studio in a professional way. I don't want to use the XCOPY workaround when creating a web project in VS.

VS is excellent to use with cassini and debugging inside a web project and it doesn't work so well with a Umbraco project. Why is that and is there a way to really use VS as is?

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Aug 29, 2009 @ 13:54
    Chris Koiak

The main reason I use the xcopy method is to avoid C# files in my webroot. Really it's a publish that's happening on build.

You can still debug using this method. Just change your VS project settings to launch an external url, it'll attach to the process automatically. Remember to set debug="true" in web.config.

You should be able to create a web application project and point it directly at umbraco, if that's how you want to work. You may run into issues on deployment filtering out your C# files.

How do you want to set up your dev environment and what specific issues/problems stop you doing this?

Cheers,

Chris

• Roel Snetselaar 151 posts 305 karma points
    Sep 01, 2009 @ 07:34
    Roel Snetselaar

Could you elaborate more on "doesn't really work that well"

What operating system are you using and what version of IIS are you using?

When using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you can just host multiple websites on your local webserver all pointing to different directories on your filesystem containing Umbraco installations.

When using Windows XP it's kind of a different story since IIS5 on Windows XP won't let you create multiple websites on your local webserver. (And in the current version of Umbraco, virtuals are not supported, but I think they will be in the next 4.1 version which is currently in alpha)

However you could look into Jetstat multiple IIS when using Windows XP. This tool does allow you to host multiple websites on your local webserver.

On file system I use a structure like this:
    d:\development\clientname

The clientname folder contains the Umbraco installation as well as the Visual Studio project and solution files.

• Petr Snobelt 923 posts 1535 karma points
    Sep 01, 2009 @ 08:35
    Petr Snobelt

@Roel: On windows XP, you can use EasyIIS http://www.codeproject.com/KB/winsdk/EasyIIS.aspx It allow to create multiple websites, but only one can be running.

• Roel Snetselaar 151 posts 305 karma points
    Sep 01, 2009 @ 10:01
    Roel Snetselaar

@Petr I use http://www.jetstat.com/iisadmin/ it does the same as EasyIIS. So it's called IISAdmin not "Multiple IIS" like I said before...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft