Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1288 posts 3921 karma points c-trib
    Feb 08, 2013 @ 18:41
    Dan

How do you back up your SQL Azure database?

Hi,

It seems that a lot of people are now starting to use Azure for hosting their Umbraco websites.  I've tinkered with it myself ('Azure Websites' flavour) and it works very nicely.  You can scale easily/vastly, the price is reasonable, it seems to perform okay and you know that - at least in theory - Azure has your back in terms of data resilience.  However... what about database back-ups in case something goes wrong YOUR side?  Say your client does something really silly and deletes their entire content tree or a bug appears and it breaks your data.  What happens?  How do you restore the database?

I know you can manually back-up by cloning your database instance then porting it to Azure storage, but that's not a practical solution.  I notice a couple of tools (e.g. http://www.red-gate.com/products/dba/sql-azure-backup/) have cropped up in the marketplace recently but I wondered if people have used any of them to handle automatic SQL back-ups on Azure and if so, which ones, and are they any good?  If not, what is the 'solution'?  What do you use?

I'd really appreciate any advice or experience anyone can share on this.  To me, it's the missing piece of the puzzle.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft