Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Sørensen 304 posts 650 karma points
    Feb 10, 2013 @ 20:28
    Paul Sørensen

insert an image in text editor fails

Hi

I get 

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

when I try to insert an image in the text editor - in 4.11.3

the details are

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.DataTypeDefinition.get_DataType() +242
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.datatype.DataTypeDefinition.GetByDataTypeId(Guid DataTypeId) +46
       umbraco.controls.Images.UploadMediaImage..ctor() +70
       ASP.umbraco_controls_images_uploadmediaimage_ascx..ctor() +13
       ASP.umbraco_plugins_tinymce3_insertimage_aspx.__BuildControlMediaUploader() +26
       ASP.umbraco_plugins_tinymce3_insertimage_aspx.__BuildControlpane_upload() +153
       ASP.umbraco_plugins_tinymce3_insertimage_aspx.__BuildControlForm1() +498
       ASP.umbraco_plugins_tinymce3_insertimage_aspx.__BuildControlTree(umbraco_plugins_tinymce3_insertimage_aspx __ctrl) +57
       ASP.umbraco_plugins_tinymce3_insertimage_aspx.FrameworkInitialize() +29
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +48
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +72
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +21
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +58
       ASP.umbraco_plugins_tinymce3_insertimage_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +4
       System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +341
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +69

I don't think it is because of the upgrade becuase I have upgrade another site without problems.

I have tried to compare the 2 sites and the appear to be almost similar. I think it has something to do with the tinymce editor

Any ideas?

/Paul S

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 10, 2013 @ 22:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Paul

I think it might be the upgrade...I've seen the same error as you see above. It's pretty weird since I made an upgrade to 4.11.3 on one installation where everything worked fine and then made the same process for another site as well where I started seeing this all of the sudden :-/

What version did you upgrade from? And was it the same version your succesfull upgrade worked on?

Perhaps you should try to copy all the /bin, /umbraco_client and /umbraco folders once again to see if that makes any difference. Also try double checking permissions and increment the version number in the /config/ClientDependency.config file.

(I did not get this issue fixed myself since it was just a test-installation, but curious to see if we can figure out what happens here).

/Jan

Feb 11, 2013 @ 20:36
    Paul Sørensen

Hi

I upgraded from 4.11.2 for both systems and I have also tried to copy files and settings from the working system without luck. I have tried to upgrade the version number also without luck.

I have tried to make a local copy and it also fails and upgrading to 6.0.0 does not fix the problem either.

I have downloaded the source and I'm now trying to find out what's going on.

/Paul

Feb 12, 2013 @ 08:43
    Paul Sørensen

Hi

Apparently I had problems with a DataType - MultipleFileUpload - the datatype was there but somehow the control could not be found when it ran through the list of datatypes and that's what happened when the InsertImage control was being loaded.

To check for a similar problem click on the datatypes one be one to see if they get properly loaded - if not - there's the problem.

Thanks for the comments, Jan

/Paul S

Feb 12, 2013 @ 10:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Paul

Nice work! Thanks for letting us know :)

/Jan

• Ted Jardine 98 posts 120 karma points
    Apr 08, 2013 @ 01:31
    Ted Jardine

Many thanks for posting your solution! Had the same issue.

• Doug Clark 30 posts 52 karma points
    Apr 22, 2015 @ 16:18
    Doug Clark

I'm not clear on the fix for this issue. Can you please explain what needs to be done to resolve the problem. Thanks!

Apr 22, 2015 @ 17:26
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Doug

I think that in Paul's case he had a datatype called "MultiFileUpload", which if I remember correctly is a 3rd party datatype available as a downloadable package for v4/6 sites.

The datatype appeared fine in the "Datatypes" list but the files needed for the datatype did not exist on the disk - I suspect that in this case some folders/files were missing in the /usercontrols/ folder.

But can you tell more about your issue? Is it for the same version of Umbraco as Paul is describing above? And are you making use of the same datatype as well?

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft