Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Shannon 148 posts 171 karma points
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 21:47
    Shannon

Upgrading from 4.6.1 to 6.0. Is there an easy way

Checking to see if there is an easy way of upgrading the source code to 6.0. I have a fear of just dumping it in there.

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 22:24
    Charles Afford

It might be worth just creating a dummy site in 4.6.1 and try to upgrade to 6.0 and see the result?  At least that way you could be sure that your current config is going to work for the upgrade.  Always make an backup of the database and files you have just in case so you can just roll back to 4.6.1 if something goes wrong. Charlie :)

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 13, 2013 @ 22:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Shannon

I think you should make sure to backup you current site (files and database) and then follow the steps described in the documentation here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/

Make sure to read the general recommendations first before having a look at the recommended upgrade path.

Be aware that if you're using uComponents and especially the MNTP the MNTP datatype is in the core since Umbraco 4.8. Between Umbraco 4.7 and 4.8 there is also a minor database change.

And if I remember correctly you might run into a weird cookie issue if using Chrome as your browser and having upgraded from 4.8 to 4.9, which will result in an ugly YSOD when trying to enter the backoffice - If that happens make sure to clear you cookies and all should be good.

When you have done the upgrade to 4.11.4 make sure you run the path fixup script- this is also mentioned in the documentation.

If your site consists of many different sites with different hostnames configurations then be aware that this logic has been cleaned up and rewritten, which can perhaps mea you need to do some things different...I think in most cases you're not going to see any issues. (Somebody please correct me if this is wrong).

Happy upgrading.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft