Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ginger 3 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 14, 2013 @ 19:35
    Ginger

Installation on load balance servers not functioning properly.

I installed umbraco 4.7.1 on a load balanced server set up last January, and since then we have experienced problems with updating content.  Content will be updated on one of the servers but not the other.  I have to log in to the server that is not updated and republish the page on that server in order for it to update.

I have reviewed the wiki document about installing Umbraco for Load blanaced environmnts http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/installing-umbraco-for-load-balanced-environments and have had no luck getting it to function properly.  After setting up the distributed call section of the umbraco settings.config file then neither of my servers would update so I switched it back.

In the above mention wiki under Umbraco Administration it has the following:

"It is highly recommended to designate ONE of the load balanced servers as your administration server. The reason for this is a known issue with Umbraco in load balanced environments when writing to the umbraco.config cache file. If you are administrating Umbraco via the public website address (which means it's load balancing requests), then a file locking issue will occur because multiple servers are attempting to write to the same file simultaneously.

To get around this issue, editors and administrators should administrate umbraco from one of the servers. This would mean that your firewall will need to allow public traffic to one of the internal DNS address such as http://server1.mywebsite.com/umbraco/umbraco.aspx"

Does that mean we can not successfully update content if we access the Umbraco UI through the public ip address?  Do we have to be physically on one of the servers to do our updates?

Does version 6 fix this known problem?

HELP!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft