Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• AntonioMX 58 posts 57 karma points
    Sep 01, 2009 @ 05:55
    AntonioMX

Multiple websites and Umbraco on Server 2008

Hello,

Umbraco 4.0 and Windows Server 2008. Works properly until we add other .NET websites which have applications with Integrated AppPool. Umbraco is the root website.

The  others websites are accessed as localhost/NAME. I can't make them work! The main entry point loads well until I try to access the 2005 SQL Server DBs! Shows NO Error page, it just wont log in the users!

I have checked the forum and Google extensively and tried a few solutions but with no luck.

Cheers

Antonio

• Petr Snobelt 923 posts 1535 karma points
    Sep 01, 2009 @ 08:32
    Petr Snobelt

Hi, umbraco can work under Integrated AppPool, try look at aspnet35.config in umbraco root. Also every application can have their own app pool.

Sep 01, 2009 @ 15:40
    AntonioMX

Thanks Petr, we are going to try  the 3.5 config file in a couple of hours, I have another question, how can I ensure that it will work if the other websites have their own apppool?

• Roel Snetselaar 151 posts 305 karma points
    Sep 01, 2009 @ 19:06
    Roel Snetselaar

Currently Umbraco does not support virtuals. Are you trying to install Umbraco sites under virtual directories?

This will be supported as of version 4.1 I believe.

I would create seperate sites in IIS for al the sites you are hosting and I would also give them their own application pool if you have enough memory resources. If not you can host multiple websites within one application pool but please note: If one of the websites goes down the other ones go down as well.

• Ron Brouwer 273 posts 768 karma points
    Sep 01, 2009 @ 19:14
    Ron Brouwer

Just guessing here but have you tried adding those directories to the config

<add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="/umbraco,/install/,/forum,/NAME" />

Sep 02, 2009 @ 01:03
    AntonioMX

let me give you guys more context:

||
    ------------------
    SITE ONE IP: 192.168.128.55 PORT 80 ACCESS (localhost)/BI framework: 2.0
    ------------------
    ||
    ------------------
    SITE TWO UMBRACO IP 192.168.128.55 PORT 82 ACCESS (localhost):82
    ------------------

Site One has some of its applications under an integrated app pool since it has all the assemblies it needs in the bin folder (including those of the framework).

If we change Umbraco to port 80 it works perfectly, but site one is throwing errors,  it seems like it has to do with compatibilty issues among the different versions of the framework or the ajax assemblies as declared on the web.config file. We have tried removing the umbraco httpmodules in the web.config of the other apps but it didnt work.

• Roel Snetselaar 151 posts 305 karma points
    Sep 02, 2009 @ 07:16
    Roel Snetselaar

Did you try this?

Run site one as a virtual directory in a different app pool

Run site two in a app pool

Both app pools can have different configuration and both the site and the virtual directory can be configured using a different version of .NET. Also you can add site one to the reservedpaths like Ron is saying.

Sep 03, 2009 @ 16:47
    AntonioMX

Hey guys,

Reporting that we had solved the problem. We used several solutions, including this one proposed by VirtualRichard:

<location inheritInChildApplications="false">

Which we put immediately after the <configSections> element. Although, I believe it should work if done as VirtualRichard mentioned.

Also, we had to change the <configSections>of the child apps' web.config files. This because umbraco had it slightly different as included some extra attributes as:

requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"

And also had a slightly different section grouping (with the <sectionGroup> element).

Cheers

Sep 03, 2009 @ 16:48
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft