Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chad Rosenthal 272 posts 474 karma points
    Feb 22, 2013 @ 17:02
    Chad Rosenthal

Using SQL CE vs. SQL Express in Production

My company is creating a new Umbraco site, and will need to buy a new database server. They would like to hear the different options available to them to make the best decision.

First off, the website itself won't be overly complex. It's a marketing site with a couple of forms that will get data from a web service. So over-all, I'd say that it's pretty basic. It will be a very well traffic'd site with well over a million hits a month.

The best decision in my mind is that they buy a SQL Server 2008 R2 license and equipment for that. The problem is that it's expensive.

The next best option is that they pay for hosting it.

The third best option is using Sql Express.

The worst option is using SQL CE.

I'd like to accurately describe the experience of the 3rd and 4th options. If we cache most of the pages, will this have a major speed impact on end-users?

Thanks,

Chad

• Richard Terris 273 posts 715 karma points
    Feb 22, 2013 @ 17:10
    Richard Terris

Seems the biggest differences between CE and Express are CE doesn't support stored procedures, which shouldn't be an issue if you aren't creating any custom tables, or writing custom sections.

The number of concurrent connections on CE is apparently 256 whereas Express is unlimited.

I've always found this site to be very useful for SQL related questions and it has proved as such again : http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/04/22/sql-server-difference-between-sql-server-compact-edition-ce-and-sql-server-express-edition/

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5044 posts 15475 karma points MVP admin hq
    Feb 22, 2013 @ 17:11
    Sebastiaan Janssen

There's absolutely no difference between the speed of SQL Server and SQL Server Express, barring some memory and storage limitations and not being able to scale to a webfarm of sql servers.

For most sites, I've never seen a need to buy a full SQL Server license, SQL Express works just fine. If you KNOW that you're going to have very specific very custom needs then maybe you should look into full SQL Server. Doesn't sound like it though.

Ps. Our.Umbraco runs on SQL Express.

• Chris Dunsing 18 posts 83 karma points
    Sep 04, 2015 @ 18:17
    Chris Dunsing

Would there be any harm in explicitly stating that in the documentation?

https://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Requirements/

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Sep 04, 2015 @ 18:45
    Nicholas Westby

While not Umbraco-specific, SQL Server Express also does not support transparent data encryption, which may be required in some situations (such as for HIPAA compliance, common for instance with health care websites).

• Chad Rosenthal 272 posts 474 karma points
    Feb 22, 2013 @ 17:21
    Chad Rosenthal

Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft