Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Greg 9 posts 29 karma points
    Feb 26, 2013 @ 20:02
    Greg

Getting started with new installations

Hi,

I'm looking into using umbraco for a futur project, however before I get started I wanted to go through the steps of having 3 installations (local -> dev server -> live server) and testing moving content between them. Before testing out courier, I wanted to try simply zipping the site and back up the database and restoring on our dev server.

I created a new site locally by grabbing it through webmatrix (why is it still v 4.11.3 and not 6?) and then following all the steps until the site was up. I installed the simple starter kit, changed some text on the home page. Zipped up the entire folder. Back up the new database. Transfered everything to dev. Unzipped and restored. Changed the DB line in web.config to point to the new database. Went to the site and was met with the "Looks like there's still work to do" page. Can't log in since the password I set up isn't functioning.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I tried deleting everything and rezipping, transfering, backing, etc. and same deal.

Can anyone help here?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 26, 2013 @ 20:11
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Greg and welcome to our :)

To start with easier question about the version in webmatrix - I belive it's because Umbraco HQ unfortunately does not have any control over what version webmatrix and the web pi has access to in their feeds. It's controlled by Microsoft as far as I know.

Sounds weird to me that you can't log into Umbraco...but in regards to the installation screen I suppose you have not deleted the install folder? And what does the umbraco umbracoConfigurationStatus in the web.config say?

Are you connected to a VPN connection when trying to access the live version?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Feb 26, 2013 @ 20:12
    Jan Skovgaard

...Have you also made sure to setup the proper permissions for iis_iusr and network service on the live environment?

/Jan

Feb 26, 2013 @ 20:19
    Greg

Hi Jan,

I deleted the install folder after reading your reply and the get the same result/page (the "looks like there's still work to do" page).

As for the web.config, both local and dev has:

add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="4.11.3"

I haven't gone as far as getting a live version going. I'm still working on local -> dev. Our dev server is in our office and on the same network, so there's no need to connect to it via vpn.

EDIT: the permissions was already dealth with since I couldn't get the site to run and get the "looks like there's still work to do" page until the iis_user was set up correctly.

• Nigel Wilson 945 posts 2077 karma points
    Feb 26, 2013 @ 20:22
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Greg

What you have described certainly indicates that it 'should' work - if you copied all site files, and also backed up / restored the database on your dev server then it should work.

The "looks like there's still work to do" page can indicate the "umbracoConfigurationStatus" key in the web.config is not set. But if you copied the web.config from your test to dev then this should be set.

Can you browse the front end of your dev site ? Just noticed you haven't mentioned that aspect.

Also can you access the admin area of your test site ?

Cheers, Nigel

Feb 26, 2013 @ 20:33
    Greg

Hi Nigel,

On the local site running in VS2012, I can access the front end (http://localhost:####/) and get the starter kit basic page. I can also go to back end/cms ( http://localhost:####/umbraco) and log in and make changes.

Once I've zipped and transfered, when i go to the front end ( http://www.mydevserver.com/ ) I get the umbraco "looks like there's still work to do" page and when I attempted to log into the back end the password no longer works. It's as if it was never properly set up anymore.

Now, I zip and unzip into a blank folder, would it be wiser to run an installation first on the dev server then override the different files and then override the database with the back up?

I'm trying again right now with v6.0, will update if I get the same issue.

Greg

Feb 26, 2013 @ 21:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Greg

Is the db version being used local/stage the same version as on the live environment?

As Nigel mentions your approach sounds right though...but clearly something goes wrong along the way...

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Feb 26, 2013 @ 21:09
    Greg

Well.. I'm not sure what happened. I thought perhpas it had to do the not mapping the db user to the database correctly but since I had already started working on a V6.0 instead of 4.11.3  I just went ahead and finished that.

Looks like it worked fine this time.

Thanks for all the help anyway.

Greg.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft