Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lou 59 posts 169 karma points
    Mar 05, 2013 @ 10:07
    Lou

Modify Template - Customise Skin

I have been trying to get the Modify Template feature to save my modifications, I have tried this with a number of versions between 4.9.1 and 6.0.2. I am using MySQL as my database.

While it works a treat, it is useless if it doesn't modify the skin.

It says it saving the Skin and then it Says it publishes the skin, but when I look at the site nothing has changed. I go back to the Customise Skin and it has my saved changes but the skin is untouched, as soon as I modify anything in the modal box the changes are applied, but never saved.  All my permissions are ok and I just changed the Application Pool to support 32 bit as that was something someone had suggested but nothing works.

I am doing this with a brand new version of umbraco using the simple starter kit and the Feijoa style.

Surely this should work.  It has been the same with every version I have used and I have done this 20 times at least hoping the next version would fix the problem.

Has anyone tested this feature in the last 10 or more releases?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 11:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Lou

Honestly I don't think this has been working for a long time unfortunately.

I think you should report this as a bug on issues.umbraco.org/issues/U4 otherwise I don't think it will get much attention.

/Jan

Mar 08, 2013 @ 00:27
    Lou

Hi Jan

I reported it as a bug for 4.9.1 in January, I also reported it again for version 6 this week.

It did save it once last year in October/November witha Beta of V6, when I first looked at the feature. I don't remeber what version that was but I have never been able to save it since I did a proof of concept in a test site.  I got approval to use the feature but the feature hasn't worked since I started on building it into our system in December.

Lou

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Mar 08, 2013 @ 11:10
    Rich Green

Hey Lou,

Not saying that the feature shouldn't work (as it's in the product) however I would be interested to know your use case for it? 

I'm sure there are different ways, dare say better ways to achieve the simular functionality

Rich

Mar 08, 2013 @ 12:00
    Lou

I am part of a development team producing an eCommerce product, some of our customers want us to reskin our product with their designs. Others want to be able to tweak the product by changing a few items.  They don't want to edit css files.  The Modify template feature incorporates LESS so you can change one color and it gets changed in all the appropriate spots.

The one thing wrong with the Modify Template is how it handles changing images, rather than just uploading and replacing an image, it uploads to a guid and replaces the refernce to the image with a reference to the guid of the file uploaded. So if I want to change a button that is used in multiple places it doesn't work.

I had built a proof of concept which was similar to what the Modify template did but it wasn't as good as what Umbraco did and it wasn't integrated.

My boss loved what Umbraco did, but is very annoyed we can't use it because it doesn't save the changes in the CSS file.  It did at one point, but I have no idea which build or version I used as I threw it away when I started work on getting our product to use the Modify Template feature.

Mar 08, 2013 @ 12:04
    Lou

My big worry is that this worked with WebForms, but like lots of packages the developers are not doing anything for WebForms instead they are concentrating on MVC only.  Contour and Ublogsy are examples where the new releases are only having new features for MVC only.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft