Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sean L 24 posts 146 karma points
    Mar 05, 2013 @ 21:04
    Sean L

Error upgrading to 6.0.2 from 4.11.5 in database step

Originally attempted the upgrade from 4.11.1 to 6.0.0 and got the same error. So then I attempted to make the upgrade from 4.11.5 to 6.0.0 and got this error as well as when trying to upgrade to 6.0.2. The error comes up at the 90% mark in step three. The error I am getting is as follows:

The database configuration failed with the following message: 'DF_cmsContentType_masterContentType' is not a constraint. Could not drop constraint. See previous errors. Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/App_Data/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt')

The process I have taken has been the standard steps:

• Backup SQL Server database
    • Copy files required for upgrade
    • Visit the landing page
    • Step through upgrade process

Umbraco packages installed:

• XSLTSearch

I have used ExamDiff to port over changes made to config files as necessary. When attempting to do upgrade again, I have restored the database to its previous state, prior to attempting upgrade.

Looking for possible ideas. Thanks in advance.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 11:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sean welcome to our :)

Are you 100% certain that XSLTSearch is the only 3rd party package installed? The reason why I ask is that the table name mentioned above to me looks like it's something from 3rd party (But I could be wrong since I have not checked the db of v6 yet).

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

• Jacob Jensen 10 posts 31 karma points
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 12:08
    Jacob Jensen

Try with the web.config from 6.0.2, and manualle merge ur personal settings over (or leave it as is, and type connectionsstring /use wizard in install step), just had the same problem.

gl :)

/Jacob

• xrisdoc 54 posts 102 karma points
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 13:03
    xrisdoc

Hello,

I had a similar issue earlier, although the error message was slightly different.

Turns out, it was due to the way the database was copied. When it was copied, it didnt retain the Primary Key fields etc. It was copied using the export data method wich didnt retain identity fields etc.

I re-copied the database using the Copy Database Wizard (right-click database > Tasks > Copy Database...) and this copied the whole database with identity fields etc. Then, when I ran the Umbraco Upgrade/Install Wizard, it competed without any errors.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chris Docherty 

Mar 06, 2013 @ 14:32
    Sean L

Thanks for the respones and the warm welcome. I have sifted through the community a bit prior, just had not ran into any real significant issues thus far. This one has stumped me, however.

Jan - Yes, the only package underneath the installed packages is XSLTSearch. When I originally installed Umbraco (4.11.1), I installed the Creative Website starter kit to get some ideas on how things worked, as that was my first time using Umbraco, but I removed that package. I later installed XSLTSearch.

Jacob - That is actually exactly what I did. When copying over the files for the upgrade, I copy over and replace the web.config from 6.0.2. The only changes necessary for the site is adding in the custom connection strings used for custom user controls.

Chris - I do not have a Copy Database option when I right click and look under tasks. I am assuming you are referring to SSMS? I have only one version of the database from the beginning, which was backed up and restored in it's entirety.

Thanks,
    Sean

Mar 06, 2013 @ 15:06
    xrisdoc

Hello,

I was refering to SSMS, but from what you have said, the issue I had is probably not that similar as I first thought.

Under the cmsContentType table in SSMS, if you expand the Constraints folder, is the DF_cmsContentType_masterContentType listed here? I am assuming that it possibly won't be listed here and this is what, I assume, is causing the error.

If this is the case, then I would try creating this constraint and then run the setup again to see if that helps. Hopefully, now that it exists it won't cause this error?

You will be able to create the constraint by setting the default value of the masterContentType column in the cmsContentType table to zero (0).

Thanks,
    Chris

Mar 06, 2013 @ 15:34
    Sean L

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. You are correct, when I open the Constraints, I see two there but not the one which it is complaining about in the setup. Before I go ahead and add one though, I am curious now. There are two constraints listed, but the name almost seems like it is wrong to begin with. The two that are there currently:

• DF__cmsConten__maste__00551192
    • DF__cmsConten__thumb__7F60ED59

Personally, I don't particularly have any experience with constraints, but couldn't I simply rename them to what it is expecting? It looks almost as if the name wasn't correct to begin with, as it cuts off a bit prior to the underscores.

Thanks,
    Sean

Mar 06, 2013 @ 16:01
    Sean L

Update:

Attempted to rename the constraint to the expected name (DF_cmsContentType_masterContentType) within cmsContentType table, and then ran the upgrade again. The upgrade went through successfully.

Well that seemed easy enough after checking the constraints as Chris had advised.

Thanks for all the help,
    Sean

Mar 06, 2013 @ 16:04
    xrisdoc

Hello,

If you are renaming them using the right-click context menu on the constraint, you may have to refresh the constraints folder for the rename to be visible to you.

Failing that, I supose you could delete them and add them again. These contraints are just default values that are set on columns within the table.

If you delete both of these then you should be able to create these again by setting the default value on the relevant columns on the cmsContentType table. 

• thumbnail has a default value: ('folder.png')
    • masterContentType has a default value: ((0))
    My only worry with this is that if all of the consraints for other tables are named in a similar way as these were, you will possibly have to do the same for each of those, which would be quite a bit of work, just to upgrade umbraco. In which case I would rather understand why these constraints were named like this in the first place.

Thanks,
    Chris 

Mar 06, 2013 @ 16:05
    xrisdoc

I'm glad you have got it sorted now.

Thanks,

Chris

Mar 06, 2013 @ 16:16
    Sean L

I am wondering about the same thing, as to why they are named like this to begin with. Out of curiousity, I noticed that there were quite a few other constraints in other tables with similar naming conventions (cut off words, extra underscores, and randomized letters/numbers at the end). I wonder if anyone in the community would have some insight into that. I would like to fix them if that is going to cause issues down the road, however the upgrade only complained about the one constraint in particular.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft