Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Greg Berlin 818 posts 634 karma points
    Mar 08, 2013 @ 00:43
    Greg Berlin

Upgrade from V3.0.6 to V6

I need to upgrade a really old website and after suggestions on the best way to do this... the version-specific guides only start at V4.x so i assume I'll need to get to a V4.x and then upgrade from there... any suggestions welcome

Thanks
    Greg

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 08, 2013 @ 00:54
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Greg,

I have an (unofficial) archive of all the Umbraco releases, (if you are missing any?)

http://j.mp/umbraco-archive

Towards the bottom of the page there is a general upgrade path guideline, along with links to blog posts about more specific upgrades.

Cheers, Lee.

Mar 08, 2013 @ 00:59
    Greg Berlin

Thanks Lee... fark, 13 upgrades to get to the latest version.  NASTY!

I wonder if it'd be better just to rebuild the entire site on V6.  hmmmmmm :|

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Mar 08, 2013 @ 09:31
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Greg,

Of course the guidelines I put on there are more to cover myself and to try make the upgrades as smooth (albeit lengthy) process.

You could skip a few of the steps between the v4.x releases - just keep in mind that there'd be a load of config changes.

e.g. v3.0.6 > v4.0.4.2 > v4.5.2 > v4.8.1 > v6.0.2

But yes, still a number of steps.

... or take a backup of your v3.0.6 site, upgrade it direct to v6.0.2 ... and see what happens?  Theoretically all the database upgrade scripts are in the code, so it could work - the biggest parts are the config changes, especially between switching to MasterPage templates (in v4.x) and XML schema from legacy to new (in v4.5).  Obviously I can't make any guarantees - the safest option is still the 13-steps. :-)

Good luck and godspeed.

Cheers, Lee.

Mar 08, 2013 @ 20:32
    Greg Berlin

Thanks Lee... I'll let you know how I get when i get onto it in a few days.

I'm leaning towards rebuilding the site.. i dont think it'd take much longer than the upgrade path, and is less likely to leave me with ongoing issues in the future.  Sounds safer and cleaner to me.

Apr 08, 2013 @ 02:51
    Greg Berlin

FYI, I rebuilt this site from scratch.  Upgrading seemed to painful an option and potentially would have taken even longer than a full rebuild.

Thanks for the advice though

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft