Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robin 37 posts 109 karma points
    Mar 08, 2013 @ 15:14
    Robin

Problems deploying local site to live environment

Hello

I'm already trying since yesterday morning to deploy my local website (who's running fine in webmatrix) to my live server. I used the FTP function within Webmatrix, but all I got is an internal server error.

I use the simple SQL CE database system (just an .sdf file), I thought it would be the easiest way but apperenty not that easy.

I read this article: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/recommendations/recommended-reading-for-it-administrators/best-practices-for-live-deployment but didn't help

I can install Umbraco with the web platform installer, but that's a clean install. For adding features I need to test it on the 'real site' on my locak machine. I know about courier but I prefer a free solution. Is there any way?

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Mar 08, 2013 @ 15:19
    Rich Green

Hi Robin,

Umbraco is simply a .NET website, you set it up as you would any normal .NET website.

1) Deploy Files to server

2) Deploy Database to server

3) Change any connection strings (to above DB if you're using SQL Server)

4) Set permissions

5) Set up IIS

That's off the top of my head, depends if you have shared hosting or dedicated.

Rich

Mar 08, 2013 @ 15:34
    Robin

Hi Rich

It's my first aps.net project. I deployed my files to the server, I also deployed my database file. I didn't change my connectionstrings, because I use on my local machine and on my remote server the same type of database. Should I change something in it? It looks this way right now (I already had some problems with the connectionstring in the beginning, that's why there are multiple).

<connectionStrings>
        <remove name="LocalSqlServer" />
        <!--<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="server=.\sqlexpress;database=aspnetdb;user id=DBUSER;password=DBPASSWORD" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>-->
        <add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="Datasource=|DataDirectory|Umbraco.sdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" />
        <add name="myConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=|DataDirectory|\Umbraco.sdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" />
        <add name="umbracoConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=|DataDirectory|\Umbraco.sdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" />
      </connectionStrings>

Is there something wrong with them? I don't know much about databases and connectionstrings

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Mar 08, 2013 @ 15:49
    Rich Green

Hey Robin,

If you're using SQL CE then you don't need to change any connection strings.

Who is your hosting with?

Rich

Mar 08, 2013 @ 15:54
    Robin

I'm hosting by Hosteurope. I contacted them already several times but I got the anwser they don't give support for programs that not installed (or can be installed) through their webinterface (Plesk parallels panel). We are hiring a dedicated server (Windows server 2008 R2). I'll try installing Umbraco by the webinstaller again, and see if that still works.

--- got something more: there is an error in plesk panel --
    I hope hosteurope can help me now.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft