Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeff Smith 4 posts 24 karma points
    Mar 17, 2013 @ 20:45
    Jeff Smith

Running 6.0.2 on Arvixe Hosting - works fine until Mvc, then can't save templates?

Hello,

I setup Umbraco 6.0.2 on Arvixe's shared web hosting. I created the database, set the web folder to writable by "NETWORK SERVICE". I ran through the config wizard and everything worked fine. I was able to create templates, save content, etc. UNTIL i changed the "defaultRenderingEngine" tag in config/umbracoSettings.config to "Mvc".

After I change to Mvc, I can still log in and everything, but when attempt to "Save" a template, I never get the box in the corner that says "Template saved" and my changes don't save.

I tried saving with Fiddler web proxy running and I can see the "/umbraco/RestServices/SaveFile/SaveFile" request being sent from the browser, but it's getting a HTTP 500 response. It doesn't appear to be an ASP.NET error, the 500 error simply says "500 - Internal server error, There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed".

I realize this could be a problem with Arvixe, but I am stumped where to go next. It's strange that it works fine as WebForms, but not MVC. I am pretty sure file permissions are set correctly in the web folders.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Thank you,

Jeff

• René 327 posts 852 karma points
    Mar 17, 2013 @ 21:56
    René

Hi Jeff

I have never worked with Arvixe's shared web hosting

But it sounds like there is some troubles around the permissions to write to the folder.

René

• Jeff Smith 4 posts 24 karma points
    Mar 17, 2013 @ 23:12
    Jeff Smith

I got it working. Not sure what was wrong initially, the more I started trying to do things, I ran into strange problems.

I ended up deleting all the files and the database and doing a re-install.

Seems to be working now.

Sorry for the false alarm, I should have tried that first.

• René 327 posts 852 karma points
    Mar 18, 2013 @ 07:13
    René

Hi 

No worries, i´m glad you got it working

René

• Adam Bryner 1 post 21 karma points
    Mar 18, 2013 @ 15:14
    Adam Bryner

Hello,

I'm glad you got this resolved, thanks for posting.
    Moving forward if you have any trouble, please let us know.

Thank you!

• Fabrice 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 12, 2013 @ 22:15
    Fabrice

Hi,

Quite same problem here. I've setup umbraco 6.0.3 locally on a dev machine.

When attempt to save a template, I also never get the box in the corner that says "Template saved" and my changes don't save. I don't get a 500 server error but Firebug give me a 404 page not found for that path: http://<computer>/umbraco/RestServices/SaveFile/SaveTemplate or http://<computer>/umbraco/RestServices/SaveFile/SavePartialView.

Note that I can create a template or a partial view but cannot update them at all, so I thinks permissions are ok.

Any idea?

Thx in advance

• Ken Brown 14 posts 105 karma points
    Dec 04, 2013 @ 17:09
    Ken Brown

Hi Fabrice,

I'm encountering a similar issue on my production server, yet I have no problems in my development environment. Did you ever determine the cause or a workaround?

Thanks,

Ken

• John Palmer 76 posts 201 karma points
    Apr 08, 2014 @ 07:28
    John Palmer

Hi Fabrice,

If you see same error message 500 internal server error, you need to check full error message on the server. But, I think it is the permission issue.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft