Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Hamish 96 posts 154 karma points
    Sep 06, 2009 @ 03:23
    Hamish

Is there a wiki (or the like) on how to Configure SQL Server 2008 Express

Sorry if this has been asked before (Just couldn't find anything)

I'm a newbie to Umbraco and I'm struggling to install Umbraco on my local machine using MS SQL Server 20008. I've found the following wiki explaining how to configure MS SQL Server 2005:
    http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/install-umbraco-4-on-windows-vista/configure-sql-server-2005-express

However I can only get up to "SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration" and this is where i start to get lost - Surface Area Configuration is no longer an application but instead is integrated into SQL Server 2008 Express Management Studio (and I can't quite figure out what needs to be done).

Basically - is there an explaination like the link above for MS SQL Server 2008 Express?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 06, 2009 @ 13:59
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I haven't yet seen this documentation, however, I can really, really recommend using the Web Platform Installer instead of doing this manually, it's such an easy way to get everything installed correctly automatically.

Also, the config for 2005 and 2008 should be fairly similar. The SQL Server Configuration Manager is all you need now by the way, the "Surface Area Configuration" is similar to it. Just turn on TCP/IP on all of the servers and restart the server.

• Tom Madden 253 posts 455 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Sep 06, 2009 @ 21:55
    Tom Madden

Hamish,

you need the SQL Server Management Studio Express, and you can get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=08e52ac2-1d62-45f6-9a4a-4b76a8564a2b&displaylang=en

The download includes SQL server as well, but you should be able to install just the Management Studio part.

The screens may be slightly different, but you basically get similar options, for the name of the instance as well as setting up Mixed Mode Authentication etc.

HTH

Tom

• Hamish 96 posts 154 karma points
    Sep 07, 2009 @ 22:22
    Hamish

Thanks guys for input - been heaps of help. After paying better attention to what I was doing (I was looking in the SQL Server Management Studio for the TCP/IP details rather than looking at the SQL Server Configuration Manager) have been able to successfully install Umbraco on my local machine...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft