Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Torben Rügge 27 posts 47 karma points
    Sep 07, 2009 @ 11:11
    Torben Rügge

access rights to web.config

I am reopening my previous thread about this as my problem has not been solved, even if it says so in the Forum

Hi Jan,

I am amazed at the rate of response here. thank you very much.

I do not, however, feel as confident as you depict.

I am not yet in a position to start considering installing Creative Website Starter package.

As I see it I still do not have a running installation of Umbraco.

I need somehow to complete the last three steps I mentioned above of the installation procedure, before I get to a point, where I can look at installing CWS.

I think that if I d oNOT complete these three steps I cannot getto a point where I can begin installing CWS.

Am I wrong in thinking that?????

/Torben

9/6/2009 9:46:58 PMAvatarTorben RüggeLocation: roskildeposts: 8Karma: 28
    Comment with ID: 14128

I seem to have a problem understanding how to submit to this forum.

I just wrote a lengthy line about your response and again, like yesterday it sems as if I submit it and yet it doesn't get submitted. So here goes once again:

Thanks very much for your prompt response and this on a Sunday as well. You are a kind person, Jan.

I do not feel that I am in a position to start implementing the Creative Website Starter package. I feel I need to complete the last steps 3-5 of the db installation procedure.

I am not yet at a point, where I can begin to install the CWS (even if I would love to, right now), I wouldn't know how to begin, as I feel stuck in step 2 of the db insgallation procedure, an not knowing how to proceed from there, even if I have mangaged to modify the connection strng in web.config manually.

Can you guide me, please

Best regards

Torben

9/7/2009 10:44:36 AMAvatarTorben RüggeLocation: roskildeposts: 8Karma: 28
    Comment with ID: 14161

Somehow my topic is marked as "Solved"

It is not.

I need to find out who (which user) is the one that during installation wants to update web.config.

Sorry if the history of the previous 12 forum entries has been lost somehow.

I cannot get past stage 2 of 5 in the database instalation procedure

I have amended the web.config manually, but I still need to get past stage 2 to set up the contents of the umbracoCMS db.

Kind regards

TOrben

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Sep 07, 2009 @ 11:26
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Torben

I just got the understanding that you had actually completed the installation. Hence the advise for installing CWS - But obviously you cannot install it without Umbraco running first.

But did you manage to write the connection string into the web.config? Because then you should be able to progress to step three in the installation guide and take it from there I guess?

/Jan

Sep 07, 2009 @ 13:28
    Torben Rügge

Hi Jan,

the problem about moving on, even if the connection string is now more meaningful, is that step 3 of 5 needs to be performed (checking all file access rights, then step 4 (setting up DB tables etc. plus chaning the "admin" password and then step 5 (which I believe is to amend the default.aspx so it no longer starts t the "Install" folder.

I do not know the html page name for step 3 so I need to pass through step 2, which is the one for which I don't know which user is trying to rite to web.config

kind regards

Torben

• Nico 9 posts 34 karma points
    Sep 07, 2009 @ 14:29
    Nico

Hi Torben,

It depends on the platform. This is usualy IUSR_MACHINENAME for iis6 and IUSER for iis7. If you are using a hosted site, then you probably can set anonymous access to the web.config by your configuration panel provided by your hosting provider.

You can also add a connection string by hand. Then you have to edit your web.config on your local machine and upload it to your website by ftp.

You can find some extra info over here: http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/install-umbraco-30-on-windows-vista/configure-umbraco-30. This info is for umbraco 3, but it gives you an idea where to start looking.

Good luck,

Nico

Sep 07, 2009 @ 15:21
    Torben Rügge

I am running IIS7 and I defined a new user: IUSR and gave him full rights (for the moment), but he is not the one that wants to write to web.config, as I still get this msg.

Could not save the web.config file. Please modify the connection string manually. An error occurred loading a configuration file: Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\8m0j0uds.tmp' is denied. (C:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config)

I have also defined a user: anonymous, but when checked it turns into ANONYMOUS LOGON and he is no use right here

I have changed the conection string manually, but that will not take me to the next necessary steps as expleined above

Kind regards

TOrben

• Peter Dijksterhuis 1442 posts 1722 karma points
    Sep 07, 2009 @ 15:23
    Peter Dijksterhuis

It usually takes the NERWORK SERVICE account to have modify-rights. That's the user-account the application-pool runs under. This can be changed, so check which user is set up in your application-pool and give that user the needed rights (web.config + other folders)

HTH,

Peter

Sep 07, 2009 @ 16:33
    Torben Rügge

Network service is given full rights in all of the folders under wwwroot (as asked for by the installation program

In IIS Manager I have 4 appl. pools

ASP.NET 1.1 (.NET 2.0 is default under Windows 7 which I run)

CLASSIC.NET appl pool

DefaultAppPool and

UMBRACO

If I look at default settings for the DefaultAppPool I see nowhere I can set users and user access rights.

Can you point to the place where I can check which users can access which pools?

Kind regards

Torben

Sep 07, 2009 @ 19:03
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Looks like the app-pool for your umbraco-site is the umbraco-pool right?

I looked it up on my own machine at home how to get to the user. Open up the IIS-manager. Then right-click on your umbraco-pool and select 'advanced settings'. You there see a 'process model' with 'Identity' right under it. It probably says 'ApplicationPoolIdentity' there (but that is not a real user in windows). Change that to Network Service and then you should be good to go I guess.

HTH,

Peter

PS: if it is just a PC at home you use for developing, you also could give 'Everyone' full control to bypass any security-problems, that's what I usually do at development PC's

Sep 08, 2009 @ 20:44
    Torben Rügge

When entering the last step of 5 I get this msg.

any good ideas?

Server Error in '/' Application.

The file '/umbraco/developer/packages/LoadNitros.ascx' does not exist.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The file '/umbraco/developer/packages/LoadNitros.ascx' does not exist.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): The file '/umbraco/developer/packages/LoadNitros.ascx' does not exist.]
       System.Web.UI.Util.CheckVirtualFileExists(VirtualPath virtualPath) +8734573
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +113
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +101
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResult(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) +83
       System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(VirtualPath virtualPath) +48
       System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.LoadControl(String virtualPath) +26
       umbraco.presentation.install.steps.boost.OnInit(EventArgs e) +193
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +333
       System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +198
       System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.Add(Control child) +80
       umbraco.presentation.install._default.OnInit(EventArgs e) +439
       System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +333
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +378

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4918; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4918

• Tom Madden 253 posts 455 karma points MVP 4x c-trib
    Sep 08, 2009 @ 22:01
    Tom Madden

I'd just like to add that Peter's comments about the AppPoolIdentity needing changed to Network Service is a good un'

Sep 08, 2009 @ 23:35
    Torben Rügge

1) I appreciate that Peter's comments are useful. However, I still need to understand where to go to change the AppPoolIdentity.

2) Your comment does not address my latest problem, namely that the instalation procedure cannot find a particular file. When using Windows Explorer the folder in which to look for this flle doesn't even exist, then it is my suspicion that the installation script is asking for something which have not been included in the recommended download.

Torben

Sep 09, 2009 @ 00:19
    Peter Dijksterhuis

Looks like there went something wrong with extracting the files. If you look in the zip-file, the umbraco/developer/packages/LoadNitros.ascx file is there.

That happened to more people before, don't know why, but perhaphs because of the program you used to extract the files. Try downloading the zip-file again and extract the files again, the file is there.

As for the AppPoolIdentity, did you not find the place I tried to descibe in the earlier post?

Sep 09, 2009 @ 17:43
    Torben Rügge

I have had problems with the Forum system. Unable to submit, so I may have lost the one, where I explained about the AppPoolIdentity. I can't find the proper place where to change to write rights

I managed to get along by giving "everyone" access, and I guess I can delete these rights once the system is installed fully. Am I right?

With regard to (re)finding the LoadNitros.ascx file, I shall look into this on riday, as I am off to a business trip to Estonia in the early morning tomorrow

Talk to you soon, and thanks again for being so helpful

TOrben

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft