Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Sep 08, 2009 @ 12:48
    Dan

SQL 2008 set-up

Hi, I'm trying to install Umbraco on my local Vista PC, using MSSQL 2008 express.  I've followed the basic instructions from here: http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/install-umbraco-4-on-windows-vista/configure-sql-server-2005-express but there isn't a 'Surface Area Configuration Tool' in 2008.  I thought I'd found the settings to change in other places (e.g. right clicking on the server instance in Management Studio and clicking 'Facets', etc) but I still can't log into the MSSQL server as 'sa' - I can only log in as Windows authentication.

Firstly, is it essential to have to log in as 'sa'?

Secondly, can anyone help with the connection error:

TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to OFFICE\SQLEXPRESS.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=233&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

I've Googled and Googled and Googled, and nothing seems to work at all.

Thanks everyone!

• JacoboPolavieja 62 posts 84 karma points
    Jul 07, 2010 @ 11:47
    JacoboPolavieja

I rebump this topic because it's about the same problem I'm having...

I'm trying to install umbraco 4.5 on Windows 7, with IIS and SQL Server Express 2008 following the guide here: http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/install-umbraco-4-on-windows-vista/configure-sql-server-2005-express

So two questions:

- Is there a more updated guide I haven't found?

- Where should we do the 'Surface Area Configuration Tool' configuration as SQL-E 2008 doesn't have it? I've googled to see if it has been relocated or something, but can't find much really.

I also thought about installing it through MS Web Platform, but it seems to be a 4.0 version... which I had running through Cassini.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Jul 07, 2010 @ 12:06
    Dirk De Grave

Jacobo,

Are you using the web pi installer, or doing a manual installation? If you're doing a "manual" install, here's a short how to which I use all the time when setting a new umbraco installation:

• - Fire up your sql instance
    • - Create a new database (eg. umbraco45)
    • - Create a new sql login (under Security/Logins) (eg. umbraco45user as login name, use sql authentication, set password for this sql login - may uncheck the "Enforce password policy" and optionally set the "Default database" to umbraco45)
    • - Create a new database user (under umbraco45/Security/Users) (eg umbraco45user , map it to login name umbraco45user, and add role members db_datareader, db_datawriter and db_owner)

Change your web.config umbracoDbDSN settings to reflect your sql credentials .

<add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=.\SQLExpress;database=umbraco45;user id=umbraco45user;password=yourpasswordforsqllogin" />

Fire up your umbraco installation and follow the installation wizard.

If you're doing the web pi installation, check the wiki entry (Do be aware of the "Application Name" field when using web pi)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

/Dirk

• JacoboPolavieja 62 posts 84 karma points
    Jul 15, 2010 @ 10:29
    JacoboPolavieja

Hi Dirk!

Thanks for answering and sorry for getting back so late but I've been away from home for some days.

After LOTS of trying-error sequences... I finally got it working. I tried several things to get 4.5 up & running... but some times it as IIS troubling and some other times SQLServer. Most of these were due to me being a complete newbie with those. Call me crazy but I found Apache + MySQL far easier, hehe! But it may completely be a matter of being used to something and my lack of reading about IIS and SQLServer.

I finally almost did it by chance... I was trying to get 4.5 installed but WebPI has just 4.0 on it. From the most humble position, is there a reason for that?I really have no idea how much work would be to put 4.5 on WebPI, but that would be a great great thing.

Anyway... I tried with Webpi& 4.0 but did get yet another error... at least this time I knew I had everything needed installed and sqlserver set up. So I just created a new site on IIS, copied the files, do the aspnet_regiis.exe thing... and fire up the installation. Everything installed normal as it seems.

It would also be goodto have a step-by-step guide updated to the new technologies (umbraco 4.5, IIS 7.5, SQLServer 2008 R2 Express). I will try and do that when I put this site up & running. I could do it in English & Spanish if that could be of help.

Thanks a lot. Cheers!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft