Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• René Andersen 238 posts 684 karma points
    Apr 16, 2013 @ 11:17
    René Andersen

Questions before going online with a simple site

I am about to make a simple Umbraco site online but before I do it I have som questions:

1. I have tried to upload all files through FTP included the SDF file and that worked just fine. But do i have to upload everything and is it okay to run a simple site with a SDF database file?

2. If it is okay to use the SDF file what is the disadvantages?

3. When should i use SQL server instead?

4. Why use WebDeploy to put a site online when it is possible to transfer all files through FTP?

5. I find MySQL easier to use but as far as I can see then the Umbraco team has low priority on MySQL because of a small minority of Umbraco users use MySQL. So should I learn to use MS SQL instead?

Thanks in advance!

//René

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Apr 16, 2013 @ 11:40
    Rich Green

Hey Rene,

1. I have tried to upload all files through FTP included the SDF file and that worked just fine. But do i have to upload everything and is it okay to run a simple site with a SDF database file?

Yes, it's fine.

2. If it is okay to use the SDF file what is the disadvantages?

Yes, it's fine.

3. When should i use SQL server instead?

When your database is causing performance issues.

4. Why use WebDeploy to put a site online when it is possible to transfer all files through FTP?

It's a choice, i personally just FTP.

5. I find MySQL easier to use but as far as I can see then the Umbraco team has low priority on MySQL because of a small minority of Umbraco users use MySQL. So should I learn to use MS SQL instead? 

Unless you have custom tables there's no need to 'learn' MSSQL, personally I hardly do anything in MSSQL, any advanced stuff uses the API, I rarely write code to access the DB directly.

If you're going to be building a bunch of Umbraco sites you just need to learn to 'Set Up' MSSQL, rather than learn it, I would use MSSQL if you can as I find Packages / code are more throughly tested using MSSQL (down to most Umbraco users using MSSQL)

Hope that helps.

Rich

• René Andersen 238 posts 684 karma points
    Apr 16, 2013 @ 14:08
    René Andersen

Hi Rich

Thanks!

That helped me alot because I plan to make more Umbraco sites in the future and I would like to do it the right way instead of doing things wrong from the start.

//René

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft