Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Apr 16, 2013 @ 11:56
    Rob Watkins

Umbraco / MySQL fails to reconnect after DB restart

This happened with all 4.7 sites using MySQL as a backend. Basically, our hosting company applied updates to the DB server only and so took just the DB server down.

This then broke the 4.7 sites with the error:

"error connecting: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool.  This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached."

Restarting the website on the web server fixed this, but obviously that's a non-ideal solution - is this a known bug, and if so, is it fixed in 4.11? These sites are due to be upgraded so that would be fine.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Apr 16, 2013 @ 12:19
    Rich Green

Hey Rob,

I wouldn't say this is a bug, I'm guessing that the way the connection pools work is that they don't expect the DB to go 'offline', IMHO if the database goes offline I think it's reasonable to see errors until the website is restarted.

Rich

• Rob Watkins 369 posts 701 karma points
    Apr 16, 2013 @ 17:43
    Rob Watkins

Hmmm, well, SQL Server does not exhibit this behaviour.

I can see your point, but practically, in a live web environment with no persistent connections maintained, I don't think it is that reasonable. The website should error when it can't get a connection, fine, but as soon as the server comes back any request should have no problem connecting to the DB and so shouldn't require a restart.

Anyway, sounds like it's almost certainly the MySQL drivers rather than Umbraco, I was really wondering if anyone else had seen this and had a fix, given how helpful the forum is :o)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft