Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Sep 09, 2009 @ 15:45
    Dan

Cloud hosting with full trust?

Hi I recently looked into purchasing some cloud hosting, but none of the suppliers I checked with would run IIS in anything higher than medium trust mode, which I understand will prevent Umbraco from running.

Does anyone here use cloud hosting, and if so, who with and would you recommend it?

Thanks y'all.

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Sep 09, 2009 @ 15:50
    dandrayne

Amazon EC2, no problems at all.  You get your own instance with whatever os you want on it, and can connect via rdp etc etc.

Not the cheapest for smaller sites though.

• Morten Christensen 596 posts 2773 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Sep 09, 2009 @ 16:00
    Morten Christensen

You might wanna try GoGrid - unlike Amazon and Rackspace they only have a datacenter in San Francisco, US. But I have used them for about 7-8 months. They have a wide variaty of Windows instances, which you get full control over. A 1GB instance, 10GB storage (free - you pay for additional storage) runs at $0.19/hour. They also have prepaid plans so you can get a lower hourly fee.

Traffic is $0.50/GB outgoing - ingoing traffic is free as far as I recall.

I haven't had any problems with them, but the location of the datacenter might be/become an issue. Of course depending on your needs.

www.gogrid.com

- Morten

Sep 10, 2009 @ 12:09
    Dan

Thanks for the suggestions - I think I'll have a further gander at EC2 as I use Amazon S3 for back-up storage and haven't had an issue at all.  Funnily enough Amazon were one of the few majors I'd not contacted about IIS trust modes, so very happy to hear they do what I need!

Thanks.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Sep 18, 2009 @ 15:38
    Rich Green

Let us know how it goes.

Nov 10, 2009 @ 18:53
    Dan

Just to follow up on this - I decided to keep my dedicated server with my current provider for the time being.  Amazon EC2 looked good, but a little expensive for me at the moment (maybe when my dedicated plan runs out I'll have another look).  GoGrid looks good also, but yes, I'd prefer something UK or at least Europe based.

I made an enquiry yesterday with Rackspace, and was told that they plan to offer a new series of Windows cloud hosting plans early next year, which will offer the ability to change trust mode to full or high - required for Umbraco installation.  Thought I'd share the news - albeit only tentative at the moment.

• Chris McVittie 103 posts 75 karma points
    Nov 11, 2009 @ 22:04
    Chris McVittie

Flexiscale are uk based, and elastichosts too actually... 

Can't vouch for either:

http://www.flexiscale.com/

http://www.elastichosts.com/

I think MS Azure europe stuff is going to be Dublin based, although umbraco doesn't run on it yet....

• peter kline 1 post 21 karma points
    Sep 13, 2010 @ 12:55
    peter kline

Just a follow up to this thread, I've been using stratogen which are a VMware based cloud hosting provider with good results. http://www.stratogen.net

• rithika 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 22, 2011 @ 14:30
    rithika

To have a reliable cloud hosting with high availability, speed, capability you may try http://www.hioxindia.com/cloud-hosting.php

• E.J. Brennan 73 posts 114 karma points
    Apr 22, 2011 @ 14:39
    E.J. Brennan

I use rackspace cloud server for my umbraco installs, and it works great. Not the "cloud sites", but the "cloud servers", you can get a low-end server for as little as about $60/month running asp.net 4.0, windows server 2008R2, and can upgrade them to more power just by paying more if you need to - the upgrade happens almost instantly.

• devtage 12 posts 32 karma points
    Apr 22, 2011 @ 16:24
    devtage

Thanks E.J. Brennan for that information. I have been at my wit end trying to make umbraco work on Rackspace Cloudsite (shared hosting) due to the Medium Trust settings. I will try out CloudServer and see how i goes. Some quick question

1. Are you hosting multiple sites on one box instead of single sites ? I plan to host multiple sites

2. Is there any provisions for Email. I enjoy the Rackspace Email on cloudsite (sharedhosting) i am not sure if the same applies to Cloudserver.

Thanks a bunch!

• E.J. Brennan 73 posts 114 karma points
    Apr 22, 2011 @ 16:52
    E.J. Brennan

If you host on a cloud-server at rackspace, you either need to run your own mail server on the box, use rackspace email hosting (which you can buy a-la-carte) or use another provider. 

I started with a cloud-sites account (which lets you host unlimited domains and gives you unlimited email accounts), but was never happy with the mediium trust problem, and the fact that it seems to take them forever to support new versions of .net when they came out. (still not sure if they support 4.0 yet). I also don't like using shared SQL server space (though it worked ok for most things).

So I added some rackspace cloud-servers to my account to run umbraco (multiple sites on each server), my own sql server (I have my own licenses) and those applications that require .net 4.0 (I also do Entity framework development). 

My plan was to then cancel my cloud sites account, but I came up with the same email issue - where was I going to host it? I ruled out running my own mail server (I've done it in the past and find it a pain), so I ended up keeping my cloud sites account so that I could still have unlimited email accounts and not have run the infrastructure myself. Any site that doesn't need .net 4.0, I keep on my cloud sites account (including some PHP/MySQL sites I run) and for sites that I run on my rackspace cloud server, I still setup the DNS to use the rackspace email thru my cloudsites acct - I don't run email for a ton of clients, but even with the small amount I do I figure it was cheaper to pay for the rackspace cloudsites account if for nothing else for the email.

The really nice thing about the cloud servers is you can run a backup image, and then immediately build a new server right off that image all in a matter of 20 minutes or so, and if you just need to do some testing, you can run the server for a few hours or few days and delete it when you are done - you only pay for the hours you use. Bullet proff way of testing out things before you mess with your production servers.

• devtage 12 posts 32 karma points
    Apr 22, 2011 @ 17:01
    devtage

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! I really apreciate the detail. You sum up exactly what i was intending to do, your email really validated my planned approach.

Much appreciated!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft