Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonny Wilson 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 17, 2013 @ 20:52
    Jonny Wilson

Setting up Umbraco from pre-built HTML sites

Good evening guys 'n 'gals,

This is my first ever venture into large scale CMS - I wrote a CMS system in my last place of work but this is the first time I've used a commercial "out of the box" system.  I am finding it hard to locate the information I need to explain how I go about "picking up" existing HTML (including CSS3) and "dropping" it into Umbraco.

The CMS I wrote, we imported these HTML files as "skin files" with the content replaced with "tokens" which are later replaced with database content. I'm guessing this is not the Umbraco way?

I've been tasked with designing a HTML site and putting this into Umbraco. I have absolutely no ideas about how to go about doing this but I was told Umbraco was the better system over Orchard? Hence my being here.

I would REALLY appreciate any help or pointers (to the relevant wiki's) that would show me how I do this import... any help would be MASSIVELY appreciated!

Thank you for your time!!

• Michael Westgate 11 posts 31 karma points
    Apr 18, 2013 @ 10:15
    Michael Westgate

Morning,

If you can spare a few hours of 'messing around' then I would recommend installing a starter kit and skin (either during installation or it can be added to an exisiting install) and then just having a look at what makes it work. Any starter kit will do, and you will need to check out the templates, document types and macros.

With Umbraco, it separates content (document types) from layout (templates) and functionality (macros). A macro is essentially a wrapper to a razor script file or some xslt.

To liken the system to the CMS you wrote, I would say that you don't work with HTML files but you instead work with asp masterpages. These can be found in Settings -> templates and they can contain placeholders for dynamic content (tokens as in your CMS). With Umbraco, these 'tokens' can either be properties or macros. A template would only get rendered if it was set as the view for a document type. A document type could be 'customer' with a property of 'name'. A template could contain markup for how to display a customer including Umbraco property markup (like your token) to output the 'name' property of customer.

I would say you have been told Umbraco is a better system because it doesn't do anything to your markup or require things to be done in a certian way. Design your website, cut it up into HTML and then implement in Umbraco. No redundent steps or extra bloat.

Let me know if you need me to link to anything in particular
    Some great info:
  • Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Apr 18, 2013 @ 10:23
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Jonny,

An addition to what Michael says, I also recommend you to take a look at these free Umbraco videos.

In these videos, they reviews the most basic things in Umbraco.

http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/introduction-to-umbraco.aspx, I hope this can help you getting started with Umbraco

/Dennis

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Apr 18, 2013 @ 10:50
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Jonny,

Just a little warning if you seeing, the video about XSLT called Creating your first XSLT macro just keep in mind that they are showing the old XSLT syntax for the old XML schema.

Umbraco use the new XML schma from version 4.5, on the link here you can read about the changes from the old to the new XML schema http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/xslt/45-xml-schema/xslt-examples-updated-to-new-schema.

If you find something XLST code on the forum which is written for the old schema, I think you could take a look on the this converting tool developed by Tommy Poulsen http://blackpoint.dk/umbraco-workbench/tools/convert-xml-schema-to-45-.aspx?p=2

I think it could be a good starting point, to convert xslt from the old schema to the new one. Or you could also play with Chriztian Steinmeier´s XPath Axes Visualizer, and the Visualizer it shows the XPath for the new XML schema.

/Dennis

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft