Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Halcrow 20 posts 39 karma points
    Apr 20, 2013 @ 01:39
    Chris Halcrow

Umbraco - two websites on single Umbraco instance - 2nd site gives 404

I've set up two Umbraco websites on a single instance of Umbraco (v 4.7.1.1). If I visit the 1st website (which is listed first under the 'content' node):

www.mysite.com

... I get the correct homepage (the homepage is nested at content > www.mysite.com > Global > homepage)

However when I go to the 2nd website (listed directly under the 'content' node, below the 1st website):

m.mysite.com

... I get a 404. The homepage for the site is nested the same way (content > m.mysite.com > Global > homepage), and I can get to the homepage by using the address m.mysite.com/global/homepage. I've checked/tried the following:

• The 'Manage hostnames' configuration for both sites in Umbraco is correct
    • I have useDomainPrefixes set to true in my umbracoSettings.config
    • There are no redirects in my IIS 7.5 that are redirecting the 2nd domain name
    • My bindings are correctly set up in IIS
    • the default document in my IIS 7.5 for my Umbraco instance is set to default.aspx. I've moved it to the top of the list
    • The hosts file on the web server is pointing m.mysite.com to the correct IP
    • the homepage for my 2nd site is using a template
    • Tried adding a property to the doctype that's used by the root node for the 2nd 'website', with alias 'umbracoRedirect' and type 'content picker', and pointing the node to my homepage (apparently this method can have problems anyway, even if it works)
    • I've tried adding a property to the doctype that's used by the 'Global' node, with alias 'umbracoInternalRedirectId' and type 'content picker', and pointing the node to my homepage
    • Tried adding a property to the doctype that's used by the 'Global' node, with alias 'umbracoRedirect' and type 'content picker', and pointing the node to my homepage (apparently this method can have problems anyway, even if it works)
    • Tried putting a homepage for my 2nd site directly below the root node of the 2nd site (although the 'Link to document' for this page comes up as m.mysite.dev/test/)
    • Tried adding an umbracoInternalRedirectId to the website node itself, to point to the new homepage directly below the root website node
    • Tried an iisreset and then flushing my DNS resolver cache, the site still gives a 404
    • Tried fully republishing both websites
    • Separately re-published all nodes in the 2nd website, and separately published the new homepage I created immediately below the site root node
    • Edited the web.config file

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 20, 2013 @ 18:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Chris and welcome to our :)

I'm not sure how your site is structured, so before going into detail I just want to know if I got it right.

Is the setup done like this

Site 1
       - Global
         - Homepage

Site 2
        - Global
          - Homepage

?

/Jan 

Apr 22, 2013 @ 00:24
    Chris Halcrow

Hi Jan thanks for getting back to me and for the welcome!

Yes, you're right, the site's structured like you say, except I also tried:

Site 2

- homepage

To see if if that'd work

Apr 24, 2013 @ 07:20
    Chris Halcrow

OK so I've discovered that in the physical folder structure for the Umbraco installation there's a file config\UrlRewriting that contains the following:

destinationUrl="~/global/en"

rewriteUrlParameter="ExcludeFromClientQueryString"

ignoreCase="true"/>

So if I change things so that the page I want to be my homepage for the mobile site is the page 'en' in the following structure:

Site 2

- global

- en

It works, since its Umbraco URL is now http://m.mysite.com/global/en.  The question I still have though is that for Site 1, the Umbraco URL  isn't  http://www.mysite.com/global/en, it's a totally different URL, however the homepage displays correctly for the domain.  Can anyone explain this?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft