Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike 5 posts 25 karma points
    Apr 20, 2013 @ 19:06
    Mike

Error when trying to create a user during initial database configuration

I created a new ASP.NET MVC4 Web Application with a empty template in Visual Web Developer 2010 Express.

I installed the Umbraco 6.0.3 Core binaries via NuGet

I downloaded the CMS Install zip file and copied all files/folders except App_Code and bin folders into my VS project folder.

I set umbracosettings.config | defaultRenderingEngine to use Mvc instead of Webforms

I switched my project to use IIS Express

I hit play and ran my website to configure Umbraco for the first time.

Everything goes fine until I get to the Create User screen: I fill in all the required prompts and click Create User and get the following error message:

Microsoft JScript runtime error: 'WebForm_DoPostBackWithOptions' is undefined

Of course at that point the webpage haults and I cannot complete the configuration wizard.

I am using the following software:
    Windows 7 Proffesional SP1
    Visual Web Developer Express 2010 SP1
    NuGet Package Manager 2.2.40116.9051
    IIS Expressd 8.0

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Apr 21, 2013 @ 10:09
    Charles Afford

Hi, where is your iis site pointing at?.  Do you have a project in WWW root?.

Look at http://www.charlesafford.com/ There is a post i made about setting up Umbraco with IIS.  Still working on it.  But that will give you an idea what you need to setup.  Hope this helps.

have you tried including the app_Code folder?

Charlie.

Apr 21, 2013 @ 21:08
    Mike

Charlie, Thanks for the reply.

I am running my site straight from a project folder from within Visual Studio. I chose IIS Express to save me from dealing with full IIS as I am under the understanding that what I am attempting should work out of the box. (If I am wrong can someone point me to the right way to do it.)

I do already have a site in wwwroot being used for another purpose.

I looked at your tutorial and followed it, however, it did not change the outcome and it does not really go to the heart of my question; Why ist the configuration wizard breaking at the create user step.

I have not tried including the app_code folder because from what I understand that is for Webforms and not used in an Mvc application, I will include it and try again but I dont have much confidence in that step.

I appreciate your help and would love to know if you have any other ideas. I will let you know how the app_code attempt goes.

Mike

Apr 21, 2013 @ 21:11
    Mike

I forgot to mention in my original post that I set it up following the steps in this tutorial:

http://www.ben-morris.com/using-umbraco-6-to-create-an-asp-net-mvc-4-web-applicatio

I hope this will help someone see where I am going wrong.

Thanks again.

Apr 21, 2013 @ 21:25
    Charles Afford

Hi, that tutorial might be a bit rough.  I have just started trying to write that kind of thing :).  I see what you were saying, i just realised the IIS express.  Is there a compelling reason why you are using that and what are you using the www root for?.  The problem will be because you are trying to run it from VS.  Let me take a look at that tutorial.  Charlie :)

Apr 21, 2013 @ 21:29
    Charles Afford

Personally i dont like this implimentation.  To me it makes more sense haveing a project in WWW for you umbraco install and a class liabary for your MVC stuff for which your DLL is built into the WWW project bin :).  That tutorial makes sense.  I will have a think about your problem.  Please let me know if you find a solution :).  Charlie

Apr 21, 2013 @ 21:40
    Charles Afford

I dont know if this will make any diffrence.  But that tutorial is saying change the web config from webforms to mvc in the web config?  Are you doing this before the install?

The error says:

'WebForm_DoPostBackWithOptions' is undefined

Might be worth trying it with webforms?

Apr 21, 2013 @ 21:48
    Mike

Charlie,

I was simply using IIS express for its simplicity in setup but I'm not married to it. however when I setup a website in full iis i got the same response.

I did change it to Mvc before running the configuration wizard, so I think your idea of waiting until after setup to change it to Mvc is a great idea! (i just did it in case umbraco would install differently if I didnt have that set first.) I am away from my desk for a few hours but I will try this as soon as I get back cause this sounds very promising.

I'll post back shortly.

Thanks again.

Apr 21, 2013 @ 22:27
    Charles Afford

That will probably be the problem :).  i would stick with the iis rather than iis express.  It will save you alot of effort in the future i think if you start working with surface controllers.  Can i ask if tutorial i posted was any good? and do you have any advice for making something like that better in the future?  Thanks.  Charlie.

Apr 23, 2013 @ 11:16
    Mike

Charlie, I really thought that would work but no joy. I tried without setting to Mvc and it still came up with the same error.

I decided to just use iis and create another website (using your post which was helpful, thanks), however I get similar response doing it this way. Heres what I tried now:

1. Created physical web folder "c:\inetpub\example"
    2. Created my entry in hosts file "127.0.0.1 local.example"
    3. I create my website inside of iis and called it "example"
    4. I gave "c:\inetpub\example" "iis_iusrs" and "iis apppool\example" modify permissions
    5. I extracted "UmbracoCms.6.0.3.zip" into "c:\inetpub\example" (I clicked "unblock" in file's Properties before I did this step)
    6. I ran the website for first time setup
    7. things run fine until I get to Create User step, however this time, instead of getting the error, I get no response at all. I click the button but it does nothing. not even an error. (it is attempting to run the exact same function 'WebForm_DoPostBackWithOptions', I see this from looking at the status bar while hovering over the button)

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Mike

Apr 23, 2013 @ 21:42
    Charles Afford

No that sounds fine.  Have you tried giving iis_iusrs full permissions?  Ummm i am out of ideas.  Do you have a twitter account?  If so try asking the questions with #umbraco.  In addition try submitting a bug here http://issues.umbraco.org/issues.  if you could track down @JSkovgaard i am sure he could shed some light of @cultiv

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft