Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• carlo 1 post 21 karma points
    Apr 27, 2013 @ 12:42
    carlo

mac user newbie at umbraco totally lost

Hi, 

I used to use wordpress but i am very curious for Umbraco.

My pc is a laptop Mac OSX 10.8

I have a shared hosting account

linux, php 5.3.17, mysql, apache 2

So i downloaded umbraco as i want to learn to work with it for creating sites

But i can't even figure out where to start... can i even use it on a mac or do i always need microsoft environment so need to switch to bootcamp?

that would mean a workflow that is very difficult because i need to create stuff in mac environment and than change to windows etc...

all help that can put me on the right track is very much appreciated

thanks

carlo

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Apr 27, 2013 @ 13:01
    Charles Afford

Hi :).  As umbraco is ASP.Net i am guessing its not going to be compatiable with mac.  However you could create a virtual machine of windows and run it of there :).  

I have a post on www.charlesafford.com that explains how to setup a new Umbraco site in IIS.  

http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/introduction-to-umbraco.aspx?freeVideos=1 : Here are some free tutorials.

i would highly recommend reading this.  Umbraco and MVC is the way to go :P.

http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2012/10/30/getting-started-with-mvc-in-umbraco-410.aspx:

Umbraco is GREAT!! :)

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Apr 27, 2013 @ 15:02
    Rich Green

Hey,

Your life is going to be way way easier with Umbraco if you install windows as a virtual machine or bootcamp on your mac (as I do)

Rich

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Apr 27, 2013 @ 23:43
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi Carlo,

Just to let you know that I'm a 100% Mac frontend developer, having worked with Umbraco for about 4 years now, without ever needing a Windows install...

I can get by very well with a hosted solution (I use unoeuro.com) and FTP (yep - I can hear .NET devs screaming already :-)

One awesome feature of Umbraco is exactly that — it doesn't require Windows or Visual Studio for frontend developers, and I do mean that. You can build complete sites without ever having to open Visual Studio, I've done it lots of times already.

But no, you can't run Umbraco on your Mac unless you do so in a virtual machine (or similar).

/Chriztian 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft