Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Augustin James Bralley 2 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 11, 2009 @ 18:04
    Augustin James Bralley

Gradually migrating to Umbraco

First off, I think Umbraco is an elegant and practical solution for rapid web development.  And I thank those who created and continue to improve it.

We would like to gradually replace our current site with Umbraco.  We need both the old site and the new site to use the same domain.  My plan was to use IIS7, configure two applications (old site, and umbraco) under one site, and setup the URLRewrite module for all the 301 redirects. 

So for example: 

However, it seems Umbraco does not like being setup as an application... it needs to be the root site. So much for my plan.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to accomplish this?  It's important that we don't just replace the entire site all at once.

Much appreciated!

• Ron Brouwer 273 posts 768 karma points
    Sep 11, 2009 @ 19:29
    Ron Brouwer

Do you have an specific reason for it to be an subfolder? If not you could use a subdomain.

Setting up as a subapplication is not supported at this time however it seems there are plans to change that in the future
    http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/3121-Installing-Umbraco-4-on-a-virtual-directory

Ron

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Sep 12, 2009 @ 10:03
    Niels Hartvig

You can still achieve this (not a subdomain but running both together). First off you'd need to set the default page to something else than default.aspx (which is Umbraco). Then you'd need to add old site urls to either the reservedurls or directories to reservedpaths in the web.config of Umbraco.

• Augustin James Bralley 2 posts 22 karma points
    Sep 14, 2009 @ 17:48
    Augustin James Bralley

Thanks for the responses!

Niels, are you saying that I setup our old site as a subapplication of umbraco?  That may work with some tweaking.

-Augustin

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft