Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ledz 7 posts 25 karma points
    May 06, 2013 @ 10:48
    Ledz

A newbie question about Umbraco Function

Hi,

My name is Ledz, ive been in SEO industry for quite a long time but using umbraco and everything in umbraco is somewhat new to me since its my first time using this CMS. I have alot of questions and hopefully i could expressed and clarrify all of that with the help of umbraco community...not sure if this is the right place to put this questions...so pls guide me if im wrong...right now im handling a website that is running in umbraco, i can access and edit very basic things online only via - *.com/umbraco/login.aspx ..the owner of the site ask me to backup the site before we revamp the design and some of its functionality...my question is how can i backup the whole website? where should i start...?

Looking forward to get help and i would greatly appreciate it...Thanks in advance!!

~ Ledz

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    May 06, 2013 @ 11:43
    Hendy Racher

Hi Ledz,

Welcome :) do you have any other access to the server at all ? ( ftp / sql / rdp )

For a full backup you should take a copy of both the database and the filesystem - a good test would be to then restore it on another machine to check it's all working.

Could be a good idea for a package ! to be able to backup an entire site into a downloadable zip - is there anything that does this ?

Hendy

May 06, 2013 @ 11:51
    Ledz

Thanks for the response Hendy...mm, thats the only access that they've gve me.. a username and password for web edits and activity..

is backing up with the kind of access that i have still possible? 

~ Ledz

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    May 06, 2013 @ 12:17
    Hendy Racher

Hi Ledz,

I'd ask them for server access so you can be sure that you can do a full backup / restore - else ask them to make a backup for you to work from ?

You could also go to the Developer section and create a new Package and include everything in it (checking every checkbox and including every folder) - this might do the trick, but it might also miss some data (can't say without knowing how the site works)

or maybe use the File Manager package to upload some code to do a full backup ?

HTH,

Hendy

May 08, 2013 @ 05:42
    Ledz

Thank you Hendy, I will ask them about it and if thats not possible then i'll go with next option...

I'll update here if everything went well...:) again many thanks

~ Ledz

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft