Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• B Weaver 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 06, 2013 @ 20:57
    B Weaver

Newbie wanting to install version 4.7.x...

Hi there -- I am a noob wanting to install version 4.7.2 with WebMatrix 3.  

I've done my homework and have valid reasons  (I think) for my choice -- namely: 1) my shared hosting provider, GoDaddy, requires medium trust level permissions (ref: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/recommendations/recommended-reading-for-it-administrators/minimum-system-requirements), 2) I have no particular need for MVC or Razor, and 3) the example CWS tutorials seemingly don't support any version past 4.7.x.

Thus, on my first pass at installing Umbraco via WebMatrix, it seemingly forces me to download and install Umbraco V6 .

Is there a way to bypass V6 altogether and run with 4.7.x?  I am not necessarily in love with WebMatrix, either, so I am game for other suggestions.  Why are the CWS tutorials, which seem excellent, so dang old?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  I get the sense that I am overlooking something simple.

--bopert

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    May 06, 2013 @ 22:45
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi B Weaver

Why do you want to use 4.7 over 6.0.4? Keep in mind that most of the cool packages are compatible with this version and the underlying API is much easier to work with if you need to do integration to 3rd party services or need to hook into events etc.

V6 will also work with medium trust and you can still use XSLT if that's what you prefer since you mention you don't have need to use Razor or MVC. V6 still supports webforms as well, which is also the default engine if I remember correctly.

Besides a dozen of weird bugs from 4.7 have been fixed in v6 as well - And if you're new to Umbraco anyway why do you want to learn all the old stuff? I mean focus on the new stuff, which is the future and what companies will be demanding...:)

If it's the host that is the problem then I suggest you find another host instead.

Just my 2 cents.

/Jan

May 06, 2013 @ 23:45
    B Weaver

Hi Jan -- thanks for the reply.  It's good to know that V6 hasn't moved away from XSLT and supports medium trust -- these were both misunderstandings on my part.  

But the other points are valid.  I've paid for years in advance with GoDaddy, so I can't move away from them in the short term.  And there seemingly is a lack of documentation and tutorials for V6, especially as it relates to installing on GoDaddy's medium trust shared hosting environments.

Am I overlooking something, perhaps?

Thanks again.

May 09, 2013 @ 10:54
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi B

Well I suppose you could have a look at this installation guide here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/install-umbraco-manually

Then you will need to change the <add key="umbracoUseMediumTrust" value="false" /> to true - and that should basically be it.

If however GoDaddy has no support for the latest MVC frameworks etc. you should be able to install Umbraco 4.9.1 since that's the version before MVC was introduced in Umbraco. Remember to patch the installation according to these guidelines by Umbraco HQ found here http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2013/5/1/security-update-two-major-vulnerabilities-found.aspx

To enable medium trust you need to do the same thing in other Umbraco versions. Must admit I can't remember if there can be some issues with 3rd party packages not supporting medium trust though.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

May 09, 2013 @ 16:14
    B Weaver

Thanks Jan.  I really do appreciate your reply.  I am leary of the install effort, and how 4.9.X/4.11.X) doesn't support the CWS tutorial. Thus, I have very reluctantly decided not to go with umbraco.

The the clincher for me, however, was not the power and flexibility of the tool, but how umbraco.tv doesn't render the tutorials smoothly.  For reasons unknown, even with the video files buffered, they render only a few seconds at a time.  Too darn aggravating!

As a newbie, I simply need better documentation and support in order to get up to speed.  

I'm sure I'll need MVC someday, and I'm sure you'll have your learning infrastructure in place soon.  But it's "go time" now for my company.  I hope you understand.

Best wishes and thanks again.

May 09, 2013 @ 16:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hey B

No offence taken - I hope you don't give up on Umbraco and will find another project to use it on. But I fully understand your concerns and frustrations.

During a long period of time a lot of things has been going on in the world of Umbraco meaning that old the existing tutorials and packages in some situations are outdated and hence some stuff is no longer supported or works in another way etc.

This is of course something that HQ needs to pay attention too as well as the community. It's a shame that you did not see the coming version of umbraco.tv, which is currently running in beta at http://beta.umbraco.tv - the stuff in here is way more up to date.

I know it's to late for this project but I do hope that you will stick around and perhaps contribute a bit by letting the HQ and community know about the barriers you faced in order to get up and running with Umbraco and "getting" the concepts of Umbraco.

Also stay tuned for the creative website starter package v3 - I just saw a tweet this morning where a certain person mentioned he might give it a shot. So stick around and follow the project.

Godspeed with your current project.

Cheers,
    Jan 

May 09, 2013 @ 16:45
    B Weaver

Thank you. 

There is no doubt (in my mind, at least) that the quality and flexibilty of umbraco v6 is unparalelled in the ASP.NET CMS space.  So I a feel I am "forced to settle" for an inferior product as a tradeoff to simplify installation and ultimately shorten my learning curve.  

If the new content on umbraco.tv is excellent, then it's a crying shame it won't render smoothly.  You guys must fix this ASAP.  My humble .02...  

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft