Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mike 62 posts 274 karma points
    May 13, 2013 @ 18:18
    Mike

Upgrading from 4.11.1 to 4.11.8 - Step 3 Database hangs at 35%

Hi everyone,

I'm upgrading a site from version 4.11.1 to 4.11.8 as part of the recent security patches and have copied/merged the new files across. When I run the site and get the upgrade screen step 3 of the process which is configuring the database hangs at 35% and just doesn't progress from there.

The database credentials were pre-populated from those set in the web.config file. I've also checked file permissions and they're ok.

The database is MySQL.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Many thanks,

Mike

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    May 13, 2013 @ 21:03
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mike

Have you double checked that permissions have been set correctly?

/Jan

May 13, 2013 @ 21:05
    Jan Skovgaard

...Forgot to mention, that there are no database changes between the versions - that's why I suspect it's a permissions issue.

/Jan

May 13, 2013 @ 22:08
    Mike

Hey Jan, many thanks for the reply.

Yep permissions are all fine. Interestingly it works fine doing a clean install of 4.11.8 and the database configuration completes. The hanging seems only to happen when completing the upgrade process. I'm suspecting it is something to do with the fact that the database is MySQL perhaps (??)

Sebastiaan also mentioned that there were no database changes between 4.11.1 and 4.11.8 and that this section can actually just be skipped in the upgrade process. He suggested that updating the version number in the web.config manually was all that was required once the file copies/mergers were complete - no need to run the install folder again.

I've tried this approach on one site and so far and everything seems to be fine... 

There does seem to be a fault with 4.11.8 and MySQL regarding the LatestEdits.ascx file though as the content tree throws a Server Error when you log into the back-office:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '30 USERID, NODEID, DATESTAMP, LOGHEADER, LOGCOMMENT FROM UMBRACOLOG WHERE USERID' at line 1

Renaming the file solves it (in a manner of speaking) but don't know if the two issues are linked.

May 13, 2013 @ 22:13
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mike

Yeah, when there's no DB change it's enought to change the number in the web.config - I really should also have mentioned that in my post above.

But I think you're right that there seems to be an issue anyhow when running MySQL. Not sure it's something that will be prioritized by HQ but you could report it as an issue on the issue tracker here http://issues.umbraco.org/issues/U4 and post a link back here so others who come across this issue can vote it up or at least they will know how to deal with the issue.

Cheers,
    Jan 

May 15, 2013 @ 11:03
    Mike

Thanks very much Jan. I'll drop an item on the issue tracker and then add the link here later. I seem to recall seeing somewhere that the LastEdits.ascx and MySQL issue still existed in v6. Very much appreciate your help.

Cheers,
    Mike

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft