Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jan Brinker 77 posts 103 karma points
    May 17, 2013 @ 16:34
    Jan Brinker

Copy of a functioning 6.0.5 site gives 404s

Hiho,

I've been creating a base-template installation of Umbraco that contains everything I need on most of my sites, so I don't need to set the same things up again and again. So always when I created a new web, I copied the folder structure and database, pointed a new domain to the copied folder, set the new databse info and then I changed the hostnames in the backend. I've been doing this with 4.10, 4.11 and previous versions of 6.0 installations, it always worked nicely.

But now something has gone wrong and the newest copy of my 6.0.5-template behaves not as I expected. I enabled directoryUrls in the web.config, but always when I visit a sub-page with a URL like "my.domain.com/news" or "my.domain.com/news/" I get a 404. If I open up "my.domain.com/news.aspx" it renders the page as it should. In the backend it actually tells me, that the URL of the node is "http://my.domain.com/news/, but clicking on the URL gives me the same 404.

This is something that always worked, so either I did something wrong, or it's an issue of 6.0.5. I just recently made a copy in the same way of the same system before I updated it from 6.0.3 to 6.0.5, no glitches.

I tried republishing the entire site, including all subnodes. I set umbracoUseDirectoryUrls to false, republish, set it back to true and republish again. Still the URL won't be rewritten properly, leaving me with the 404 page, as long as I don't use the .aspx ending.

Suggestions anyone?

May 21, 2013 @ 11:16
    Jan Brinker

Does no answer mean I should report a bug?

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    May 21, 2013 @ 12:33
    Mark Bennett

Jan,

I suppose the way to check would be to run a version of 6.0.5 up from scratch and install one of the starter sites and then switch on umbracoUseDirectoryUrls. If that then gives 404's then I'd agree that you've probably found a bug. If it doesn't give 404's then you know the problem is with some config setting.

I've just set up a base 6.0.5 site and installed the starter kit - i've then changed the config
    <add key="umbracoUseDirectoryUrls" value="true" />

....and it worked fine, so it doesn't look like a bug but looks like an issue with your specific config...

May 21, 2013 @ 13:24
    Jan Brinker

I will try making a new copy of the running web and see if it fails again. And I'm an idiot by the way.

May 21, 2013 @ 13:48
    Mark Bennett

Jan,

I say config - it mean something you are doing within your scripts as well or in any custom code you are running as well as the actual config files.

Mark.

May 21, 2013 @ 14:02
    Jan Brinker

Well my "base" site, which I copied, runs just fine. So it is either something that happened while copying the page and the database, some mistake in the config or a bug in the system.

I tried using a fresh out-of-the-box web.config and only changed the minimum amount of lines in it.

That means: I manually set the umbracoConfigurationStatus to 6.0.5, added a section ImageGenConfiguration in the configSections and copied over my connection strings section.

Then I tested the site, first without directory URLs, everything worked as it should (but with .aspx endings). When setting umbracoUseDirectoryUrls to true again, I got my same errors again.

So it seems not to be the config. Other config files can't be the reason either, or it would cause the same problem on my base installation from with I copied.

That means two possibilities are still plausible: some mistake my end while copying the page or a bug of umbraco.

May 21, 2013 @ 14:08
    Mark Bennett

Jan,

Is ImageGen the only package that you have installed? And how are you copying your "base site" - what version of Umbraco is this base site?

Mark.

May 21, 2013 @ 14:23
    Jan Brinker

The packages that run on my base site are as follows:

• ImageGen
    • Cogworks - Flexible Navigation (currently not using it though)
    • DateFolders
    • uComponents
    • Examine Dashboard

The base site is Umbraco 6.0.5. When it was still 6.0.3 I made a copy to create a new website, which is running perfectly well (even after upgrading it to 6.0.5 aswell).

My copy process is fairly simple. I create a copy of the folder structure and the database. Then I replace the connection string in the web.config of the new site, so the new database is used and nothing breaks the database of the base-site. Then I create a new domain and point it to the new web and set the hostname in the backend of Umbraco.

This process has severd me well until now, as many customers want to have a similar core-set of features. This way I don't have to re-invent the wheel for every new web and all sites are structured the same way, making it easier to maintain them.

:edit:

By the way I also tried creating a completely new content-tree, in case nodes weren't updated when publishing or whatever. No luck.

May 21, 2013 @ 14:45
    Mark Bennett

Hi Jan,

The upgrade process seems fine to me and is exactly how I go about doing mine.

Can I suggest this -

Create a new 6.0.5 site as you are doing now and copy across your config / templates etc.

Before installing any of the packages then change your useDirectoryUrl's to true and see if the site works. I'm wondering if one of your installed packages is causing the issue?

If the above works then you know that it's a package issues and it may help in properly working out where the issue lies and how you can fix it.

Mark.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft