Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jimmy Connell 7 posts 27 karma points
    May 21, 2013 @ 02:35
    Jimmy Connell

Upgrade 4.7.2 to 6.0.5

I am using an "out of the box" 4.7.2 site to contain only content.   The public facing pages run on other servers and obtain data from Umbraco every hour via a simple webservice that we placed on the 4.7.2 site.    I would like to upgrade to 6.0.5.    I would like to replace the entire site with out-of-the-box 6.0.5 and add the web service back in, but am concerned about likely database changes between 4.7.2 and 6.0.5.    Will the 6.0.5 installation recognize my 4.7.2 database and make the appropriate updates or do I need to step through multiple upgrades to arrive at 6.0.5?   I would really like to upgrade it as few times as possible in order to avoid possibilities of mistakes.

Please forgive this question if the answer has already been asked and answered.  I think most upgrade questions pertain to users who are using Umbraco to host their public facing pages.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Jimmy

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    May 21, 2013 @ 12:44
    Mark Bennett

Hi Jimmy,

If you're not running any templates / scripts etc then you may be OK but obviously you need to have a server to test the upgrade as it will probably be slightly different for each umbraco installation. I've found that moving from 4 to 6 when you have a lot of templates / scripts etc is a little bit more work that just running the upgrade....

Here is a link to some information posted up by Lee Kelleher on upgrading that should get you moving in the right direction ;)

I've just recently upgraded an installation from 4.7.1 to 4.11.8 and I just did it in one step.

So I would go from 4.7.2 to 4.11.8 and test everything works as expected.

Then go from 4.11.8 to 6.0.0 and then apply the path fixup patch and test everything works as expected.

Then go from 6.0.0 to 6.0.5.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Mark. 

• Robert Valcourt 70 posts 103 karma points
    Aug 08, 2013 @ 09:30
    Robert Valcourt

Mark,

Thanks for the good information on upgrading. I'm trying to upgrade a 4.7.2 installation to 6.1.3. Everytime I try this, it fails. Perhaps there are faults in the newer web.config vs the old one. So a few questions please, when you upgraded from 4.7.1 to 4.11.8 did you overwrite the umbraco config files or the web.config? Usually I just copy the bin/install/umbraco folders and hit the site. Any suggestions? Please and thank you.

Robert

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft