Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Zoltar 3 posts 23 karma points
    May 22, 2013 @ 12:10
    Zoltar

Getting starter kits to work

Hello. I'm new to Umbraco and am struggling to find answers to some questions. I would very much appreciate some help.

1. I've installed a business starter kit but how do you get the contact form to actually send an email to my email address?
    2. Under content, if I right-click "company news" and "create" both fields are blank and I cannot add any news?!?
    3. I need to add a poll system. Is there a plugin or something that can help?
    Many thanks.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    May 22, 2013 @ 22:14
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Zoltar and welcome to our :)

Since it's some time ago that I have tried using some of the starter kits I'm wondering if you could perhaps post a screendump of the second issue you mention? I just need to see it to be certain that I get what you're writing right.

In regards to question 1 you need to make sure that the proper SMTP information have been setup in the web.config file in the <mailSettings> section where you need to specify the SMTP stuff.

In regards to question 3 you can see a list of poll packages here http://our.umbraco.org/search?q=poll&content=project, but be carefull to read the information of each package and check if they have been reported compatible with the version of umbraco you're using.

Otherwise I think it should be fairly easy to integrate from a 3rd party page like poll daddy - but let's see if some of the other packages are working first.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

• Zoltar 3 posts 23 karma points
    May 23, 2013 @ 14:30
    Zoltar

Thanks for the response Jan. It's much appreciated. Here's a screenshot of issue 2...

With issue 1. I got it to output the email to a folder... that'll do for now. :-)

I tried Poll but that didn't work at all... error on installation.

I tried multi-poll instead and did get it semi-working but not properly. From the instructions I couldn't figure out how to set the PreValue to 0 and, without this, it doesn't work and shows NaN. I also posted here: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/multi-poll-module/multiple-poll-module/41178-Single-poll-not-working

I come from a WordPress background and am used to stuff working out of the box. Unfortunately Umbraco seems to throw up a problem at every turn. :-(

Thanks for your help.

• GuiCamarotto 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 27, 2013 @ 20:56
    GuiCamarotto

Hey guys! i'm new to umbraco too, and have the same problem!

that skin is the Umedia right? one of the default skin at the begining. I think this skin have some problems, but i already seen a few site using it with a poor kind of custom content. But i tried many things to edit this skin and don't have any progress... =[

• GuiCamarotto 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 28, 2013 @ 20:33
    GuiCamarotto

I'm think i have found the solution.

Try go to Setting > Document Type > select the document type "Company News" > look for something like "child node allowed" > check the one that you want create inside this node type.

Tell us if you get it.

xD

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft